Male/Female

The culture of biomedicine is very intricate. Biomedicine is most commonly practiced among our Western culture. It is the study of the body in extreme conditions, treating diseases and ensuring the health of patients. It does this by studying both the anatomy and physiology of the human body. However, you must also take into account the cultural factors when studying biomedicine, not just the biological factors. This is because society has a huge impact on disease and illness. The culture of biomedicine is so important because it is currently the most advanced belief system in the world. In order to really understand how the body functions, how it reacts to specific illnesses, and how to heal, one must study the culture of biomedicine.

To be completely honest, I didn’t have any personal views on dichotomy before this lecture, because I really didn’t know the meaning of it. Now that I understand that it is the separation of contradictory things, I think that my own views come mostly from my parents, friends, and society. Society, such as the television, newspapers, magazines, and the Internet, has a huge impact on us starting at a very young age.

I chose to further analyze the dichotomy of males and females because I think there is such a huge contradiction on this topic, not just in Western culture, but also in cultures all over the world. We accept this dichotomy of gender roles, because our sex is something we are born with. Even in modern culture, different things are expected out of a man than a woman, such as careers and raising a family. Women are expected to be pretty and feminine, and are even still projected to raise the children. On the other hand, men are expected to be physically capable of protecting and providing for their families.

1. christopher reed says:

The dichotomy of Male Vs. Female is an interesting topic to look into, especially as we press forward as a society that is beginning to respect the rights of Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals, and Transgender individuals. I read an article in reuters a few years ago about a 6 year old girl (with male organs) who would have felt more comfortable using a girl’s bathroom than the boys’. The parents had raised the child in a gender-neutral setting, and as she grew older and began to express herself, she identified as a girl even though she had a male anatomy. This type of scenario is an important one to study not only for elementary school bathroom etiquette but also for doctors and health professionals. I always had a male doctor growing up, even though there were female doctors in the office. I assumed this was how things were done. This person would have to see me naked so I figured it had to be a male. With gender roles beginning to change, I’m wondering if that tradition will begin to change as well. The health profession can no longer make assumptions about lifestyle based on sexual anatomy alone. It would be a good idea for medical professionals to better understand this dichotomy.