Clinical Medical Anthropology

I picked clinical medical anthropology because as soon as I started reading and watching the videos I was intrigued. Honestly this week’s material made me think about what it would be like to incorporate medical anthropology into my career plans. Possibly minoring in it. My current future career goals are to graduate with a Human Biology degree and then go to Occupational Therapy school. One day I hope to become a pediatric Occupational Therapist. Seeing clinical anthropologist work hand in hand with medical professionals and patients, it fits right in with my interests and future career plans.  An Anthropologist in an Occupational Therapy setting would do similar work as they do within a physician and patient setting. An example I thought of is, if a structured treatment for a common form of autism in children does not work on a child that was adopted from India an anthropologist could work with the patient and Occupational Therapist to find the correct treatment. The Anthropologist would look at how the child would have been treated in their rooted culture compared to the non effective treatment, and find a solution.  Like in the Youtube clip “Tribal Jazzman” talked about a woman introducing boiling water to get rid of the toxins in the water that was getting the people very ill in a poor village. The women were taught all about why they should boil the water before they drink it because it killed bacteria that was getting them and their children very sick. After the people were taught and seemed to understand what to do the woman left and came back a few months later to see if the health of these people had improved when using boiled water. When checking back in none of  the people had been boiling water. Interviews were conducted and it was found that the people thought good spirits were in the water and if they boiled the water it would get rid of the spirits. The water had to come right from the land as it was for the good spirits to come to them. All the efforts to teach this village about clean water and their health failed. Similar if a treatment is used for a child that does not fit their culture’s traditions they will not conform to it they will rebel against it because it is wrong in their mind. I feel that doctors now a days should be educated in anthropology or they should have Anthropologist work right with them.

Lecture 6.1 Applied Medical Anthropology. Week 6: Applied Approach.” ANP 204 course website. http://anthropology.msu.edu/anp204-us14/week-6-lecture-1

“”Medical Anthropology” -Tribal Jazzman Scholar, Episode #26.” YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 06 Aug. 2014.

1. Riasia Franklin says:

I found your post for this week really interesting because I also chose to discuss and analyze on the topic of clinical medical anthropology. I feel like clinical medical anthropology is very helpful and have some type of similarities to the actual doctors and can be useful for those people who are pursuing some kind of position in the medical field. I also like how you used the example about a certain form of autism and how the treatment for it might not work for a child that was adopted from India, so the anthropologists would work with the doctor to find the right treatment. I also like the part about the anthropologist having to compare the way someone might have gotten cured from their sickness at home versus and a new type of way to cure it. There could be other ways that medical anthropology could contribute to this intersection they overlooked such as running multiple tests on patients several of times or researching about new medications and actually seeing how those medications would make a person’s body react to it. As far as running different test on patients. Also, anthropologist could treat different patients with the same or similar illness with different medications to test out and see which medication or treatment fits best for each kind of illness or disorder.