Clinical Medical Anthropology

For this week’s blog post I chose  to elaborate and analyze on clinical medical anthropology and the linkage it has with applied medical anthropology. I believe that clinical medical anthropology has to do with my future career goals in life, being that I want to be an OB/GYN and find ways to better women’s health overall.  I find that clinical anthropology has to do with being in a medical office setting and talking to patients about their current health issues and finding ways for them to treat them.One of the main goals of clinical anthropologists is to emphasize the cultural context of an illness experience. Also, as mentioned in this week’s lecture clinical anthropology has to do with the clinicians understanding that patients are from different backgrounds and cultures to understand health and the different ethnomedical systems that could be incorporated when trying to heal and treat these patients.  I would say that the Applied medical approach would be the most effective one because the treatment program considers a person culture and history and many more factors when deterring the most effective way to treat their illness. This is why I think the applied medical approach could be very useful for me being an OB/GYN and wanting to work in the medical field.  If I were working for a provider such as a doctor, by me taking on an anthropological viewpoint could actually be useful because It would open up new ideas and different techniques that could be used in healing someone with several options available to them or different ceremonies used for healing. As mentioned in the article “Anthropology in the Clinic: The Problem of Cultural Competency and How to Fix It, “Clinicians are grounded in the world of the patient, in their own personal network, and in the professional world of biomedicine and institutions. Clinicians serve as social and cultural links that connect the patients to the social world of the medical field. This shows how effective clinical medical anthropology could be useful.

Sources

Lecture: 6.1- “Applied Medical Anthropology”

http://anthropology.msu.edu/anp204-us12/files/2012/06/6.-Kleinman-and-Benson-Anthropology-in-the-clinic.pdf (accessed August 6th, 2014)