Public Health

I chose this intersection because I am strongly considering getting a master’s degree in public health. I am very interested in this topic because I have a large ambition to work in public health advocacy specifically in the area of fitness education. I think it is imperative that our children’s generation is educated from their parents even before they enter school to help them live healthy active lifestyles free of disease. Using anthropological methods in the realm of public health would not only be useful, it would be imperative. Every single community in the public has different ways that they get by, make money and interact with each other and understanding these variables before attempting to implement helpful public health plans would be the only way to ensure success across the majority of the public. Specifically, I think the environmental approach that we talked about in lecture is the most important in helping to implement education plans to increase levels of fitness on a large-scale public level. This would allow individuals to understand people’s situations to the best of their abilities before attempting to help change unhealthy living styles, which would cause the overall message of the program to be received more than if an individual came in attempting to make changes among people they didn’t understand. Also, another useful anthropological technique is recruiting trusted individuals from the community to help spread the message and help come up with programs that would effectively make the changes that were needed and methods for the programs to be received by the entirety of the community. As a whole I think anthropological techniques have many uses in any field especially those dealing with public or community health as they imply understanding a community or population before attempting to change something you do not fully understand.

1. Danielle Boore says:

This post was actually very interesting for me to read because I too was considering going to back to school for a master’s in public health. I have always been interested in fitness and sports so Josh mentioning fitness education made me want to learn more about this specific topic. Adding on to what was said about recruiting trusted individuals to spread the word we can recruit people from all over the world to work together. There are many different diseases that start in one country and spread. If we had individuals from each country working together to keep all anthropologists up to date it would hopefully prevent the spread of the disease. It would at least prepare other countries how to handle the disease if it does make it to their country. This incorporates the idea of globalization, which is what we were introduced to in lecture this week. Not only could world wide communication help with prevention and treatment of diseases but also everyone’s overall well being. Josh also talked about education plans to improve health. This would introduce us to new techniques that work for other countries and improve our education process as well. Even if we do not think it will benefit us in the end it never hurts to hear new ideas.

2. Danielle Boore says: