Global Health

For my blog post I selected global health in because it seemed most fitting for the class material. I could not exactly select one of the topics in terms of how it applies towards my future as I will not be working within the anthropological world. I am currently headed to China in order to teach english to youths. Because of this I selected global health¬†because I am going through the vaccination preparations. Global health is an important characteristic because we must understand health on a global level with the increase in globalization. As we learned in this week’s lecture, the world is becoming more globalized. Everyone and every location are linked together by some form of tie. Because I am heading to live in another country, I must learn what hazards exist within the environment or lifestyle. For example, pollution in China is one of the largest hazards within the mainland. Risks such as increased chance of developing lung cancer and severe adult acne become issues that are always present in the daily lives of people living in China.

Using air pollution, or “fog” as it is also called, the use of anthropological approaches can provide a large benefit towards researching. Pretending to be a doctor or health researcher in this location, one must analyze the data of both air pollution, as well as the culture of many Asian locations in relation to smoking cigarettes. Cigarette smoking is one of the more common behaviors within the population, so when researching the risk of development of lung cancer, simply analyzing one or the other of these two factors will lead to problems in the results. The number fluctuates frequently and depending as to who is reporting the fact, but it has been said that the air pollution for simply breathing in Beijing or any other mainland and/or landlocked city is equal to smoking anywhere between 4-16 cigarettes a day. Of course, as previously stated, the number fluctuates. Another factor in this research is where the pollution comes from, and following down the chain of events of what adds to the pollution, we find that the behavioral patterns of industry in China provide large portions of pollution. We see that booming industry and the increased use of cars on busy streets add to this problem, which in return provides increased risk of health issues. It is a self-sustaining cycle that began, and is continued, through lifestyle and cultural behaviors in certain locations within China.