Global Health

Global health is becoming an increasingly important field as the world continues to become more and more connected. In this day and age, distant regions of the world are connected in more ways than ever before. As technology advances and the global population increases, people are able to travel to far places, as well as have many of their resources come from around the world. This phenomenon is known as globalization, and because of it, global health is being affected as well. As stated in this week’s lecture, globalization is “those processes that are intensifying worldwide social relations and interdependence.” Globalization also considers complex interactions between cultures, economic systems, political organizations and planetary ecology. I find this very interesting simply because we are living in this rapidly changing era. Although my career goal of becoming a physician does not directly apply to global health, it possibly could be. I could have a patient who acquired an illness from a different country, and with my knowledge of global health I may be better equipped to treat them. If I were to become a doctor, taking an anthropological approach to treating my patients would help a lot, in my opinion. Because anthropologists view health issues from a societal, economical, and cultural view, they are able to notice things about diseases that doctors who only look at the biological aspect may not notice. For example, treating a patient with HIV/AIDS would be a little easier if the physician took into account what affects the patient’s life outside of their body, such as their family background, their travel habits, eating habits, cultural habits, etc. Of course many physicians who have regular patients may know these things, but many also don’t. I believe that viewing their patients’ illnesses with these things in mind can help physicians treat their patients much better.

1. Mohkam Singh says:

That was a very insightful look into globalization Natasha. I agree that as the world becomes more singular through globalization, healthcare is also affected. I too want to be a physician. In my post about global health, I touched more upon how an anthropological scope can help individuals of the healthcare field interact and work with people all around the world by understanding their culture, system of beliefs, and the economic status of different groups of people. One thing I addressed in this intersection that you may have overlooked was the understanding of other people’s culture. From this week’s material, we learned about how western healthcare professionals may overlook how another group of people observe different things, like boiling water. We believe boiling water is a necessary means to maintain health and to provide safe drinking water. In other cultures, the act of tampering with nature, even in order to increase sanitation, is considered wrong. The natural order is more important. Another aspect that was explored was the idea of mosquito nets to fend off malaria. While western civilization donates thousands of these mosquito nets in the effort to stop the spread of malaria, individuals in effected countries tend to not use them properly because of the insecticides these nets are coated in.