Public Health

I chose the sector of public health because I believe that, along with the community sector, public health is a very important component of healthcare in the United States. It is the sector that helps inform and protect the public on how to live a healthy lifestyle and prevent exposure to infectious disease and injury. This is particularly important to me because I plan on becoming a doctor and I will work within bigger cities to make sure citizens have proper and fair access to updated healthcare material. One of the ways I plan on doing this is through education. I believe that one of the best ways to protect the health of communities and families is by preventing exposure to possible risk factors for disease. Although I’ve learned through this course that it is not always easy to regulate the type of environment a person is living in (i.e. whether the environment is stress inducing etc.), steps could be taken in order to equip that person with helpful tools to combat this circumstance. For instance, if a person was living in a stressful environment if they were taught deep breathing techniques or meditation this could help them relax and therefore, lower their risk for high blood pressure or heart disease. I would also like to help provide better sexual health education primarily to adolescents and anyone else who may benefit from unbiased and accurate information on birth control, STIs, sexual disease testing, and more. There are services like this that exist but it seems as if they are limited in the scope of what they are allowed to accomplish. I would like to set a program in motion that would focus on these issues to focus more on the people instead of treating it like a business.

If I were working for an NGO worker focusing on sexual education an anthropological viewpoint would be helpful because it would help us to understand how different cultures within the United States view sex. If we can understand this, then we can understand how to provide them with necessary information that would not violate their beliefs. This is important because we do not want to assume that we know what is best for them before we specifically ask them what they need and want from sexual education. This is similar to what the man in the Medical Anthropology video was talking about when he made a shower for his host family. They didn’t need the shower and could have benefited from using the wood for something else, but he did not know this because he did not ask them. In order to better help one another we must give people correct information and allow them to decide for themselves what they need.

1. Moriah Hill says:

I agree that we could enhance public health through education. Which I believe our society does, there are many educational programs already in place to educate all people on topic such as sex, diabetes, high blood pressure, and many more important health topics. There are also institutions and organizations in place to help give the public resources, especially people who may gave a certain illness, these organizations and institutions help guide people in the public to the proper care.
    Yes, a medical anthropologist plays a role in this because everyone in the public comes from all different cultures and walks of life and that is exactly what they study. It is easier to better serve the public if you have a team that is knowledgeable in all aspects such as a health care provider knowing medicine inside and out and a medical anthropologist know cultures and their different perspectives on medicine inside and out. Other ways medical anthropology can contribute to this intersection is by educating the public to other cultures and not only the illness that way our public and the health care providers know what, who and how to deal with certain people and situations.