W1 activity: ADHD

My definition of health would be for something to be in an ideal state where it is free from any illness or pathogen. In addition, I would define illness as the response one feels from not being in a good state of health. The criteria that I used to make these definitions would be my understanding of the subjects from the classes that I have taken as well as the information that I have obtained through watching the first couple of lectures.  These different criteria come from many different sources that I am influenced by.  Like I previously stated, these definitions would definitely be related to my personal experiences through classes and general preparation for medicals school. Even more than person experience, society would have a huge impact on the criteria that I used to define health. Society tells us that what looks good must be healthy. After looking back on the definition that I came up with, I used the word “ideal”. This brings up the question: Is there an ideal healthiness? Society tells us that there is and that made its way into my self-fabricated definition.  The two conditions that I chose are ADHD and Menstruation. First and foremost, I would consider ADHD an illness because it has a negative effect on the person who is diagnosed with it. The individual suffering with this condition has problems focusing and generally has an abundance of energy. It is also important to point out that this is a stray away from my definition of health. Someone can not necessarily be healthy and have something that isn’t normal negatively affect them. Secondly, my thought process for determining if menstruation is an illness is similar to the one I used to determine ADHD as one. Though I agree that menstruation may affect an individual in a negative way, it is considered scientifically normal for a female to menstruate.  Therefore, menstruation would obviously not deem someone to be unhealthy.

2 thoughts on “W1 activity: ADHD

1. Hi John, I really liked how you defined both health and illness. There are definitely many different sources out there that mold our way of thinking about certain things. Illness for me means anything that can be physically or mentally felt by a person but not necessary seen or medically tested to be proven by physicians. Health I think of as a state of well-being, free from illness. ADHD is an illness is my book; it has negative effects that alter a person’s state of well-being. That’s why I choose to do more research on it and I actually was able to find a primary source on a research study done, comparing how ADHD is diagnosed and treated in two different countries; Korea and the U.S. It said that reliable diagnosis rates for ADHD are difficult to find in most countries because medical or scientific diagnoses are not used to diagnose ADHD. Instead they have teachers or parents observe symptoms of ADHD in a child and refer the child to doctors. Then the doctors check whether the symptoms have persisted for at least six months and whether symptoms and impairment have been present in at least two settings, such as at school and at home. If so, they diagnose the child with ADHD and doctors usually recommend they be medicated. Not much different than the way we do it here in the U.S. from the sounds of it.

Seok Young Moon, “Cultural perspectives on attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: A comparison between Korea and the U.S.” Journal of International Business and Cultural Studies http://www.aabri.com/manuscripts/11898.pdf

2. Hi, I also like your definition of health and illness. You also bring up a good question, on whether there is an ideal health. Societal definitions are constantly changing, as are its views on health. I agree with your reasoning that ADHD should be classified as an illness, as there are many physical manifestations and negative effects that go along with ADHD.. Just as in America, there is a general stigma that comes with mental health issues, and as a result many parents don’t want to give their children medications. In Japan, there is a cultural norm regarding personal space. When a child with ADHD starts showing symptoms such as interrupting others or intruding on others, it is then when a parent decides to get their child diagnosed and medicated. When a child stops showing this symptom, many parents will discontinue the medication, even if other symptoms are present such as inattention, restlessness, and social problems. In Japan, Ritalin is not available for use to treat ADHD because there had been a problem regarding abuse of the drug, especially among young people. At the time of the article I read (2012), there were two medications available to treat ADHD in Japan, Concerta and Strattera, approved from age 6-18 years old. To get a diagnosis, a child needs to see a child psychiatrist or pediatric neurologist, who use the same assessment and diagnosis process as in North America. An interesting thing I found was that while Japan has a population of over 100 million people more than that of Canada, they have approximately the same number of child psychiatrists and of pediatricians who treat ADHD.

Handelman, Kenny. “ADHD in Japan: A Personal Perspective | ADD ADHD Blog.com.” ADD ADHD Blogcom. April 4, 2012. Accessed May 25, 2015.