W1 Activity: Anxiety

For the definition of health and illness, I would define health as checking one’s status of functional organs, and illness would be temporary uncomfortness in either body or mental part that can be cured by different methods. The criteria for those definitions would be from own experience, family, and media. For example, I hear from media that when people define a good health, they would check and manage one’s bodily organs and brain organs. In addition, for my personal experience, illness is mostly temporary because when I have a cold, I would eat some medications, and the illness which is cold in this case would go away. Furthermore, in my family, my mom easily gets illness such as cold and frequent stomache, but she takes some medications when she has those illnesses and would be back to normal for a day or two.
I would pick anxiety for the conditions that were listed in lecture 2. I would say anxiety can be in a gray area because it depends on how serious of the symptoms of nervousness that the patients might have. In addition, anxiety could be separated as many parts because anxiety can come from different environments and different situations. Sometimes, it is hard to determine that the symptoms of anxiety and slight tension on certain situations and environment. Other condition I would pick is migraines. migraines are difficult to determine as illness because it has different levels of symptoms that the patients would feel. Just light headache can’t be considered as illness, but serious headache for a constant period of time might be consider as illness. The last condition that was listed in lecture 2 that I would pick is the flu. The reason why I picked this condition is that this condition is definitely considered as illness because it has several symptoms that are well-known and can also be cured with simple medicines for a short amount of time. For my definition of illness should be temporary and able to treat it either longer time or shorter time.

One thought on “W1 Activity: Anxiety

1. Hello Sunjoon, I really appreciated your post and how much thought you put into your definitions. I chose your post because of your focus on anxiety and how its severity could be used to label it as an illness. I found an interesting article online where I found that anxiety can be interpreted very differently in other cultures.

For example, anxiety in an individualist culture (like the United States) tends to revolve around an individual’s fear of embarrassing themselves. While in a collectivist culture (like Japan) anxiety revolves around an individual’s fear of embarrassing others. In both cultures, anxiety can have similar effects where the person may isolate themselves and avoid social situations but the root of the anxiety is different based upon that individual’s society. Also, anxiety in Japan may focus specifically on fears of body odor or blushing which are fears not seen often in anxiety in the United States.

In Eastern countries, treatment is often delayed longer than it is in Western countries. Eastern treatments also are more focused on making the person realize that their actions do not reflect badly on those around them as much as they think. The focus in treatment is often how the person views themselves in relation to others and their responsibility to those around them. Treatment, while focused on the individual’s condition, is not as self-centered as western treatments.

About Health. “Cultural Differences in Social Anxiety Disorder” last modified March 07, 2014, http://socialanxietydisorder.about.com/od/overviewofsad/a/Cultural-Differences-In-Social-Anxiety-Disorder.htm.