Week 1 Reflection: Ethnomedical approach

Understanding the need of medical treatment of the person is a large part of the treatment accepted by the person leads to the type of treatment given by medical staff when they fully understand the patient they are attempting to treat. In doing so, it will help with a better understanding of the mindset of the patient and their needs. without understanding of the people you are tring to help and knowing their limitations you will never be successful in understanding them. There aremany factors  to understand for each patient you see, i guess thats why its caled practicing medicine.

The distinction between disease and illness is disease is a physical issue as where illness can be a mental or a physical issue. Looking at both it does seem to be a gray area that many argue, but for all educational purposes there is a very distinctive difference.  For me it is very different because of the physical and mental differences and was obvious from the get go.

The culture that he is describing is the American culture only after really reading this article multiple times and seeing the many similarities they held did I place each with a real and physical relation.

The daily body ritual and ritual fasts are two very strong rituals that are in the Nacerima that have strong representation. Daily body ritual is important in fighting off sickness and disease. The ritual fasts help keep the people of that society health and strong to breed without both they would be very barbaric. The idea of keeping clean and fit are important factors in every civilization.

One thought on “Week 1 Reflection: Ethnomedical approach

1. Hi Paul,
    I like your reasoning for why the ethnomedical approach is important in the practice of modern medicine. I personally chose the biological approach due to the need to understand the physical, biological causes of illness and disease in order to treat the physical symptoms and problems. However I completely agree that you also need to understand the patient’s specific needs. Some patients for example are willing to try whatever is necessary to help with their illness. For example some patients may be willing to try experimental new medicines or treatment methods for cancer while others may feel that untested methods are too risky.

Even though the Nacerima article was written fifty years ago, I believe the rituals you discussed are still relevant in today’s culture. Even though we may not call them by the same name, in our society today people strive for the “ideal body image” of being fit and clean. Most people in our culture shower at least once a day to stay clean and use personal hygiene products to make themselves smell better. Many people also workout on a regular basis and eat specific foods to keep in shape. Some people will eat special diets or reduce their food intake to keep a fit body image.