W2 Reflection: Post Prompt
Category: W2 Reflection
Title: Start your title with the week number (“W2 Reflection: ”)
Write down the “race(s)” or “ethnicity” you identify with and an illness that is disproportionately prevalent among that group. (e.g. “W2 Reflection: Cervical Cancer among Asian women”)
Body: (300 words)
- Insert a graph or image illustrating rates of this disease in one ethnic group compared to another
- Based on the materials from this week, explain the relationship between race, genetics, and health. Be thorough in your explanation and use examples from class.
- Explain the health disparity you chose in your title and explain why you think it is so prevalent among that group (genetic factors? social determinants?)
- Cite your sources at the bottom in Chicago Style
Comment: (200 words)
- Choose a post that identified a different health disparity in their title.
- Read through their post and evaluate their explanation of the relationship between race, genetics and health? Is there something they didn’t consider? Did they mention something you wouldn’t have considered?
- Tell them how useful you think racial categories are in clinical studies and offer a better way of talking about racialized health disparities.