W2 Reflection: Post Prompt

W2 Reflection: Post Prompt 

CategoryW2 Reflection

Title: Start your title with the week number (“W2 Reflection: ”)

Write down the “race(s)”  or “ethnicity” you identify with and an illness that is disproportionately prevalent among that group.  (e.g. “W2 Reflection: Cervical Cancer among Asian women”)

Body: (300 words)

• Insert a graph or image illustrating rates of this disease in one ethnic group compared to another
  • Based on the materials from this week, explain the relationship between race, genetics, and health. Be thorough in your explanation and use examples from class.
  • Explain the health disparity you chose in your title and explain why you think it is so prevalent among that group (genetic factors? social determinants?)
  • Cite your sources at the bottom in Chicago Style

Comment: (200 words)

• Choose a post that identified a different health disparity in their title.
  • Read through their post and evaluate their explanation of the relationship between race, genetics and health? Is there something they didn’t consider? Did they mention something you wouldn’t have considered?
  • Tell them how useful you think racial categories are in clinical studies and offer a better way of talking about racialized health disparities.

One thought on “W2 Reflection: Post Prompt

1. Hi Becca! I found your post to be very interesting and educational. There are no genetic variances that distinguish race. I think it is absurd that some pharmaceutical companies are developing medications that target certain racial groups, for example the drug we learned about in the lecture video, BiDil. Hypothetically speaking, say we found a cure for breast cancer, however there’s a catch. This specific drug is only effective for Caucasian women. It’s only going to work for women with light skin. Doesn’t that sound absolutely ridiculous? I probably will never understand using race as a mechanism to understanding genetic variances. I think your ISS professor is a genius for showing your class that the Caucasian and African-American were the closest genetically. That just shows how the color of your skin is not a factor when considering genes. I think considering geographical backgrounds of people would be a better determination than using the color of someone’s skin. For example, people in this certain area of the world might be more genetically prone to getting this type of illness, and people in another area of the world are more susceptible to this certain disease.
    I particularly enjoyed your comment about how it is sad that this idea has led to differential treatment and causes a decrease in health care accessibility and poorer living conditions. That thought didn’t even cross my mind, but is definitely true!