For the purpose of this assignment I choose to research more on cancer among white females. Cancer among females is the second leading cause of death, following very closely to heart disease. The different types of cancer varies among Caucasian females, with the top two being breast and lung cancers. However, the leading cause of cancer death among Caucasian females is different. Lung cancer takes the top spot while breast cancer is listed as second.
While the incident rates for white females to contract these types of cancer might be higher than other ethnicities, the overall death rates by race/ethnicity are higher in black females. Incidence rate” means how many women out of a given number get the disease each year. The graph below shows how many women out of 100,000 got breast cancer each year during the years 1999–2011. The year 2011 is the most recent year for which numbers have been reported. The breast cancer incidence rate is grouped by race and ethnicity.
The graph below shows that in 2011, white women had the highest rate of getting breast cancer, followed by black, Hispanic, Asian/Pacific Islander, and American Indian/Alaska Native women.

I do think genetic factors play a major role in white females or anyone really, developing breast or lung cancer. In my family almost every member on my father’s side has contracted cancer in one form or another; from lung to breast, colon, ovarian and even skin cancer. However, there are also many other factors that come into play as well. Especially age at first period, age at menopause, age at first childbirth, body weight, number of child births and menopausal hormone therapy drugs used.
Citations:
“Breast Cancer Rates by Race and Ethnicity.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. August 27, 2014. Accessed May 30, 2015.

“Race, Ethnicity, and Breast Cancer | Susan G. Komen®.” Race, Ethnicity, and Breast Cancer | Susan G. Komen®. Accessed May 30, 2015.

Female Breast Cancer
Incidence Rates* by Race and Ethnicity, U.S., 1999–2011

2 thoughts on “

1. Hi Jacquelyn, I read your post and found it really interesting that the top leading cause of death due to cancer in females is actually lung cancer. I was surprised to read that since I feel that there is really great amount of breast cancer awareness yet lung cancer has a higher incidence rate. Seems to me like we need more information on lung cancer killing women as well as breast cancer! I think it was really great how you tied in race into your post by stating that the overall death rates are higher in black females. I like how you explained a little about the genetics behind this but have you considered overall health? Maybe there is a difference in overall health between different races and ethnicities that could be attributing to higher or lower death rates in women of different ethnicities. I think that racial categories are so useful in science and health and they can make great distinctions like the one you discussed in your post. I think people need to be more aware about why their race or ethnic background is asked in medical forms because I think many people get offended by it. I think people need to be educated on how important it is to know someone’s race or ethnic background so that research can be done to learn more about the differences and similarities in different people’s overall health.

2. Also don’t forget to go back and add a title to your post! You get points off if you do not title and categorize the post correctly! Yours should start with W2 Reflection: “what your post is on”
    =)