W3 Activity: Obesity in America

I choose the topic on obesity in America because obesity is a major health issue in the past, nowadays, and possibly in the future. I googled obesity in America and the first article I saw caught my attention, “Obesity in America: It’s getting worse”. Obesity has always been the attention of the health profession, the media, and the public, and educational campaigns about the benefits of healthier diets and increased physical activity for the past four decades. Today, the numbers are still increasing. The author said that this issue could be a genetic makeup from our ancestors, hunters and gatherers who ate diets rich in low-fat meats and had to had to stalk and capture the entrée for dinner. Due to the diets of our ancestors, we now share the ability to store fat in our body when we take in too much food. However, we don’t need to stalk and hunt for food nowadays.

In my opinion after reading this article, I feel like the author blamed that obesity is a genetic disorder. I understand that it could be one of the reasons but I don’t think that we should put the blame on genetic disorder.  Some reasons that could lead to obesity are eating unhealthy and lack of exercise. It is the way we choose to live our lives, whether to take care of our diets and bodies or put our heath at risks.

Obesity is can be seen as a biological dimensions of the illness because it could lead to serious health concerns such as Type II Diabetes, stroke, Coronary heart disease, cancer and etc.  It could also be seen as a cultural dimension because the portion of food we give out is way bigger comparing to other countries. In American, you can always get “All-you-can-eat buffets”, “king-size”, “biggie-size”, “super-size” portions for a very cheap price. However, in places like Asia or Europe, the same amount you pay for a “king-size” meal could possibly be only half of what you get in America. Therefore, people eat less and the rate of obesity decreases. Besides biologically and culturally, obesity could also be considered as an individual dimension of illness. People in America fantasize models and actresses with slim, toned bodies through social media and magazines. Society created the false definition of what “beauty” is, and mislead a lot of people since young ages.

To prevent severe health issues cause by obesity, health systems encourages kids to start exercising at a young age and adults to work out as a habit. Even though the numbers are not changing drastically, there are still improvements. Also, health organizations are now providing the options to use medical treatments to help prevent and treat these kinds of afflictions.

Marks, Jennifer B. “Clinical Diabetes.” Obesity in America: It’s Getting Worse. Jan. 2004.

One thought on “W3 Activity: Obesity in America

1. Hey Michelle,

I think that obesity is an interesting topic because it can be acquired through genetics but I think that culture and society control obesity as well. You make excellent points about the “king-size” “value-meal” and “all you can eat” “free refills” as this does in fact help obesity spread. However, sometimes people can also be more genetically inclined to be obese, than others. Exercise and healthy eating can help, but the way that the US set up makes that difficult. Unhealthy, greasy, fast foods, are quick and cheap which makes it the food of choice for millions of Americans. I myself am guilty of frequenting places like McDonalds and Taco Bell a bit excessively. For most busy Americans, its all about convenience. It doesn’t help that you can get tacos for $0.99 at taco bell or the dollar menu at McDonalds, which makes it a good deal. We need to learn to cut down portion sizes to that of the United Kingdom or Asia. All in all, pre-packing meals for an entire week is a good way to save time and stay healthy, and eating smaller meals more frequently can be beneficial and help avoid unhealthy snacking and cravings. Your post highlighted a lot of the issues on the relationship between society, culture, and obesity.