W4 Activity: Post Prompt
Category: W4 Activity
Title: Start your title with the week number (“W4 Activity: ”)
Choose an episode of True Life dealing with a medical condition from this list [link] to analyze for this activity post and write the title of it (e.g. “W4 Activity: I have Schizophrenia”)
To access the videos, hover over the play button and select one with an option to watch for free on MTV. If you hit the load more button at the bottom, you can scroll through the 200+ episodes to find one that focuses on medical condition that interests you.
Body: (300 words)
- Discuss the usefulness of illness narratives to patients/family/healthcare providers.
- Summarize the episode and identify the following themes: type of narrative (Restitution, Chaos, Quest); use of narrative; culture and Stigma, experiences with medical professionals; the sick role – rights and responsibilities, etc.
Comment: (200 words)
- Pick a post that analyzed a different episode of True Life
- Find another illness narrative (youtube/website/blog/article, etc.) that reflects on the same medical condition as discussed in the true life episode your classmate chose – cite it and add a hyperlink to it.
- Compare the experience of this patient to the ones described in the original post – what factors do you think influenced their experience (culture, family, gender, socio-economic status, etc.