W4 Reflection: Male Post-Partum Depression

Speaking of Male Post-Partum Depression, I didn’t realize that it even existed before i encountered the article. After reading the article, “Depression In Men: A Dad’s Story of Male Postpartum Depression,” I was able to understand the symptoms, causes, and treatment. Male Post-Partum Depression is an episode of depressed mood that happens in the weeks and months following the birth of a child that results in men becoming dads. The symptoms include growing angry and having irritable feeling, and even being more impulsive, drinking a lot, and overworking. In addition, men also lose their interests which might have been their favorite habits, sex, TV, and freedom. Most men don’t realize their Postpartum Depression because they’re more likely the characteristics of men or might be strong cultural aspect of men; they want to hide their problem only because it seems like it is their sign of weaknesses. For the treatment, according to the author of the article “Depression In Men: A Dad’s Story of Male Postpartum Depression,” the treatment would be counseling and dealing with the symptoms of Postpartum Depression with other men and also women. Also, many men respond well on the antidepressant which is a helpful source to treat the depression. By sharing their experiences of their depressions, they will sympathize their feelings, and able to understand why it happens and causes of it.
I think the connection between belief and healing is closely related. According to the clip from “Placebo: Cracking the Code,” doctor tries the placebo effect on knee joint surgery on two people. There are 3 groups for the experiment: one with actual procedure for knee joint surgery, one with knee joint surgery with smoothing down the damaged cartilage, and last group is for placebo group which is doing nothing but pretending that doctor is doing actual surgery on the patients. After all that, the results were the same. Nothing more or less effects on all 3 of groups. For my own experience, when I was a child, my mom rewarded me with candy for getting A’s on each subjects in school. However, the actual reward was not a candy, but it was gummy vitamin which was the placebo effect from my mom.
Worth, Tammy. “Postpartum Depression Affects Dads Too.” The Huffington Post. February 14, 2011. Accessed June 12, 2015. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/14/postpartum-depression-aff_n_822206.html.