W5 reflection: Male/Female

I chose to examine the dichotomy male/ female for this week five reflection. The meaning behind the phrase “culture of biomedicine” is that biomedicine is affected by many aspects. Culture has to be taken into account to be able to digest the whole picture.  Culture affects everything that we do so when you are trying to examine something, you need to include culture in your explanation. This weeks lectured laid out the five aspects that effect biomedicine, only solidifying the fact that it is not just a strict science subject.  Like culture, the topic of male/female also involves aspects other than strictly science. You cannot base male/female off of genetic material. Male and female should be more of a state of mind. There are people who are born one sex but identify as another. Labeling someone off of their sexual characteristics is not a matter of male/ female but more of a matter of gender. In my mind, sex and gender are two completely different things. I think this idea came from the culture that I am surrounded in these days which have a loose interpretation on what it is to be male/ female. We live in a day and age where men who change their gender are being credited for their courage. My education is another aspect of culture that has had an effect on this view point. Through classes such as sociology I have learned to be more open minded so that I can see an entire picture instead of naively labeling a situation.  The dichotomy that there is a black and white contrast between male and female exists because people still hold onto their small minded values from the past. We are slowly changing to a more acceptable state of mind but some cling to the old. Western society is one of the last areas to make this change where not fitting into these predetermined categories is a terrible thing.

One thought on “W5 reflection: Male/Female

1. It is very important for clinicians to understand the male/female dichotomy because it is one of the biggest characteristics that separates one human being from another. Understanding the male and female dichotomy is especially important to help with treatment. Although the majority of the anatomy is the same for males and females, the approaches to treatment vary greatly between the two sexes. As mentioned in this post, it is important to help differentiate between sex and gender. I would consider sexes to be a persons genetic makeup, whereas gender is what a person identifies as. Typically, the emotional aspect of being a male or female is also very different, further strengthening the idea of this dichotomy.

If clinicians take this dichotomy seriously, the medicine treatment and prevention of disease can be extensively researched. If being a female is considered to be the opposite of being men, then our medical care should vary depending on a person’s sex. As mentioned before, although the anatomy is almost the same between being male and female, once clinicians can accept this dichotomy major advancements can be made in their practices. Men can react on physiological and emotional level that is very different than a female, so why should their medical exam and treatment be the same?