W5 Reflection: Doctor/Patient

W5 Reflection: Doctor/Patient

When talking about the culture of biomedicine, one would have to rate the importance that it has in America and western society. Knowing its principles of Biochemistry and natural sciences and how they are used to create medicines and the effects that it has on us. The dichotomy I choose to discuss for this post is Doctor/ Patient because of the multiple situations and the many times that I heard that the doctor didn’t help or the patient didn’t do as instructed by their primary health care provider told them to do. The most common thing I hear is that the patient didn’t follow the treatment that was prescribed due to feeling that it was unnecessary or didn’t follow it regularly.  Talking to doctors during an investigation I find its common place to hear that the patient wasn’t following the path given by the primary health care provider due to the lack of motivation. Seeing pill counts that were in the positive is also another common sight that I see showing that the patient felt that they didn’t need to take them like they were intended. I feel that this dichotomy is accepted as logical, natural, and true in western society because of self-education from others i.e. Friends, family or even the internet like WebMD. The feeling that doctors only want your money and support the pharmaceutical companies is a very large part of the problem today. Also its understandable, as primary health care providers merge with big hospitals and their individual practices go by the way side the patient care that was there seems to be gone and with that so does the confidence of the patients, which is unfortunate because the need for the primary health care providers is still needed. Until we fix the issue it will get worse.

One thought on “W5 Reflection: Doctor/Patient

1. I think it is most important for clinicians to understand this dichotomy in particular because it specifically involves them and their line of work. I agree with what you said in that patients these days are more suspicious of doctors and their motivations for prescribing treatments. I have also heard people complain and express frustration that their doctor cannot immediately find a solution to their problems. I think that this dichotomy can have the potential to drive a wedge between doctor and patient that makes it harder for them to relate to one another. I think it is possible that doctors can sometimes take their status and advanced knowledge more seriously than what the patient is telling them. This can lead to a doctor drawing conclusions and deciding on courses of action without taking all matters into account. In my opinion patients should be instrumental in the process of their own diagnosis and treatment. The doctor/patient relationship should be more leveled and not be so emphasized as a superior ordering around an inferior. Maybe this would help with some of the mistrust of physicians if patients feel like they are more in control of their own health and subsequent healing.