W6 Activity: Diabetes in the United States

Diabetes is a group of diseases that results in elevated blood sugar content above the normal. This can be a result of the body not being able to convert sugar into stored forms via the inability to regulate or produce enzymes needed to convert the sugars. In the United States Type 2 diabetes is becoming more and more prevalent almost to epidemic levels. In the United States this rise in occurrence of type 2 diabetes can be related to social and cultural factors of American society. Culturally the food we eat in the United States is very high in sugar and fat content, causing elevated blood glucose levels and obesity, which is also a contributing factor to diabetes. Socially American society is a relatively low exercise society. Social activities involve sitting around and eating and drinking, like at sporting events or movie theaters, rather than being active and going for walks or playing outdoor games.

In an article I found titled “Diabetes in the US: a social epidemic” Peter Daniels discusses the impact of diabetes on American society. Daniels states that an estimated 41 million Americans have the pre-diabetic condition of elevated blood sugar, putting them at risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Daniels compares the rates of diabetes in different areas across the country and in comparison to the past. In New York, Daniels states that there are an estimated 800,000 people with diabetes, or one in eight of the adult population. This is significantly higher than in other areas of the country.  He also states that the rate of increase in New York is nearly double that of the rest of the country.  In addition rates of diabetes today are much higher than a few decades ago. Daniels attributes this partially to increased wealth of the country.  Increase in wealth combined with the availability of cheap high fat and high sugar food has lead to an increased consumption of fats and sugars that our bodies have not seen in the past and are unable to deal with.

Daniels, Peter. “Diabetes in the US: a social epidemic.” International Committee of the Fourth International. https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2006/01/diab-j30.html.

4 thoughts on “W6 Activity: Diabetes in the United States

1. Looking at the study done by Daniel’s he gave a great example of a small cluster of the country and how it relates to the rest of the country I quote “In New York, Daniels states that there are an estimated 800,000 people with diabetes, or one in eight of the adult population. This is significantly higher than in other areas of the country. He also states that the rate of increase in New York is nearly double that of the rest of the country.” Doing a better study that covered the same information and breaks it down into a better field of understanding, so to analyze the causes and the things that have changed over the years. He uses a blanket statement of, I quote “Increase in wealth combined with the availability of cheap high fat and high sugar food has lead to an increased consumption of fats and sugars that our bodies have not seen in the past and are unable to deal with.” Blaming wealth on this I feel is a huge issue, blame the lack of income to be more realistic, with wealth you can buy better and more healthier food. Overall you had a nice post.

2. Looking from your post, you stated and covered great factor points about Diabetes that most people would not include. I liked how you covered about what is happening in our country and how its affecting it. Moreover, the statistics that you put in your post is a great to see how much diabetes will be one of the deadly illness that our country will face. It is true, diabetes is an illness that occurs mostly in our blood sugar levels. One thing I learned from this post was how you added your article. Your article seems to have great factors for example how Daniel mentioned about “41 million Americans have the pre-diabetes condition of elevated blood sugar, putting them at risk of diabetes in different areas across the country .” This statement that he mentioned is an important factor because it shows how much diabetes will affect us. Moreover, how wealth and income are a key factors of causing this deadly disease because how Daniel mentioned in his article how ” blame the lack of income to be more realistic, with wealth you can buy better and more healthier food.”
    In addition, from your post like I mentioned before it is well written and you gave many great examples of how diabetes is important disease for our health and how we should be aware of it. You also gave a great article on how diabetes will affect us if we don’t take actions of our own hands. Overall, great post.

3. Hi Colin,

I chose your post because I have been noticing that diabetes are really serious problems in the US and other countries around the world. I like the way you explained and described what symptoms and causes of diabetes, so that it clarifies for readers who know little about this disease. I really like the statistics you included in this post, especially the part where actual numbers of people in our population have been suffering from diabetes. “In New York, Daniels states that there are an estimated 800,000 people with diabetes, or one in eight of the adult population. ” I think that by informing people with accurate statistics can alert them, and can show how much diabetes can affect our lives. After reading your post, I really hope that people can learn more and take good care of their health by watching their diets, and participate in doing more active exercises. I don’t quiet like the part where Daniel said ” blame the lack of income to be more realistic, with wealth you can buy better and more healthier food.”. Let’s be real. There will always be a gap between wealthy people and poor people. If public officials think that food is the reason why more and more people are getting diabetes, the only way we could prevent it is to introduce new cheap and healthy food. I think that this article should be shared with many more people, not only those who are in the medical field, but readers/ audience from a young age to adults.

4. Hi Colin, I really enjoyed reading your post and seeing what you had to say aout Diabetes. In the “Diabetes in the US: a social epidemic” article you mentioned that Peter Daniels states that “In New York, Daniels states that there are an estimated 800,000 people with diabetes, or one in eight of the adult population.” I think this is a great way of giving the reading an overall view of how many people really are affected because he is comparing the entire population of new york and giving a ratio of who would be affected out of all those people. That really helps to address how real this global health problem really is! You also mentioned in your post that the article states how the rate of diabetes in New York is nearly doubled compared to the rates of other states in the US. The anthropologist is really making clear that his theory about why this is happening is attributed to the overall increased wealth of the country, as you stated. Comparing the rates of diabetes in people in New York with the rates of diabetes in other states shows just how important anthropology is and how different societies and cultures can differ in health related issues.