W6 Activity: HIV/AIDS in Malawi

I know that some other people in this class have talked about this topic, but after reading the article this global heal problem stood out to me. I found an article on Avert, which provided a ton of information, which I found useful for this post. One aspect that I found crazy about the statistics is the low life expectancy rate in Malawi, which is 55. It is also the number one death factor in this country. It is always a pertinent topic to talk about AIDS in Africa, but I had no idea that it affected this country in this fashion. The first case of HIV/AIDS was documented in the United States, but the first documented case in Malawi was in the year 1985. From the mid 1980’s to the year 2000 the numbers skyrocketed. In terms of factors that facilitate this disease, it was certain leaders of the country that made it difficult to spread the knowledge so people became unaware of the disease that had killed so many. Many small communities were torn apart because of the need to help those that were sick. There are many small communities involved in the culture of Hawaii so western medicine may have not been available to the low-income families that were hit by HIV/AIDS. Essentially, this country was an en extreme level of suffering and all they could do was try and remedy the disease with the small amount of resources that they had. According to Avert, there have been many efforts to help cure and prevent the disease, which have caused a dramatic decrease in recipients of AIDS since the year 2001. Some of these actions include voluntary counseling and testing, prevention of mother/child transmission, as well as condom dispersion administered by various NGO’s.

I know that this article may have been used previously, but in regards to this topic, I found it quite resourceful in means of analyzing the work of a medical anthropologist and how it gave the people of Malawi some helpful information. During her time in Malawi, Dr. Anat Rosenthal educated several families about the risks of HIV/AIDS, primarily focusing on orphaned children. It sounds like she did some decent work because the number of recipients of HIV/AIDS in Malawi continues to decrease. Although this terrible disease affects many other countries worldwide, it certainly has left its mark on the African country of Malawi.

Resources:
AVERT. “HIV & AIDS in Malawi.” January 27, 2011. http://www.avert.org/hiv-aids-malawi.htm.

Bosch, Hayley. “HIV/AIDS Expert Speaks to Students on Campus.” The Daily Campus, January 27, 2011. http://www.smudailymustang.com/?p=36499