W6 Reflection: Public Health

The reason why I chose the intersection in Public health is that it applies to my career which is a pharmacy area dealing with public health to help with the customers’ medications. In addition, I would like to help customers with anything they need related to health and medications.

According to the article about anthropology’s contribution, it states that medical anthropologists play big roles in public health such as contemplating between populations and policy makers and same as mediating the clinician and patient relationships. Also, with new critical perspective from anthropologists, they are able to contribute to make a health policy like other medical field professionals. However, it seems like there are limitations of making health policy for anthropologists because the policy created by anthropology research is not powerful enough to be considered as a valuable scientific conclusion. Because of those obstacles of anthropologists, the author suggests 4 ways that anthropologists are able to be competitive with other medical professionals about public health policy which includes being able to observe social context in society and how culture influence all the research, and also being able to catch on to little things even though it looks like it’s unrelated  to the research, and being able to separate from biomedical goals and hegemony to let anthropologists add critical voice to the public health disclosure, and lastly, prepare for either qualitative data or quantitative data for the research.

According to the materials in class, there are 2 major types of anthropologists in their fields including clinical anthropologists and applied anthropologists. They both contribute a lot to public health using different methods, people, or ways. For applied anthropologists for example, they are trained in theory about health practices and beliefs in individuals. Also, they are trained to use anthropological method for socializing people and analyzing society. They also work at U.S. to look at domestic problems, too. For clinical anthropologists, they work with clinical professionals to help connecting patients to doctors or understanding cultural issues to solve the problems to make it easier for public health.

Campbell, Dave. “Anthropology’s Contribution to Public Health Policy Development.” McGill Journal of Medicine : MJM. June 1, 2011. Accessed June 26, 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3277334/.

One thought on “W6 Reflection: Public Health

1. Hello Sunjoon,

I really enjoyed reading your post on public health. I also wrote about public health because I’ve been educated by public health professionals since I was little. I agree that public health professionals share the same level of importance with other medical field professionals. Public health is the science of protecting and improving the health of families and communities. By studying the lifestyles of certain populations, research diseases and help identify ways to prevent the spread of these diseases. I really liked that part where you included the two major types of anthropologists, clinical anthropologists and applied anthropologists, from this week’s lecture. Your explanation and examples can really help people to relate and learn more about public health, even if they don’t know. I want to add that applied anthropology involves different forms of data collection. Applied anthropology also considers the cultural aspects, including the cultural background of a particular population sample. Knowing this information can help public health officials in determining the cause of a certain disease, or how to prevent the disease from spreading.