W6 Reflection: Public Health

I believe the idea of public health as an area of applied medical anthropology is very much relevant to my everyday life and career choice. To begin, I am currently majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies (IDS) with two specialization in BHS (Bioethics, Humanities, and Societies) and Health Promotion. After the completion of this degree I plan on attempting a master’s degree in Public Health as well. In addition to these two educational areas I also have an IDS cognate in Anthropology. The courses I have taken in anthropology have not broaden my perspectives on other cultures and their beliefs but also the global practices of medicine.

I selected the public health intersection because there are so many influential regions to explore when we consider universal healthcare and the efforts anthropologist have invested in this investigation. Applied medical anthropology requires scientists to look outside the normal standards of field research. By reviewing theories and methods there are able to first identify the issue then analyze how health experiences have shaped these outcomes. In my opinion the objective of Public Health is to promote healthy lifestyles and disease prevention while remaining true to the ultimate goal of prolonged life or years in good health.

Eventually I plan to work in as a hospital administrator and a diverse cultural understanding will most certainly come in hand on many occasions. As an upcoming activist for public health and the issues that circulate within public health I believe and anthropological perspective is a very important one to have. I have taken prior course in medical anthropology as well as those in Bio-cultural anthropology and I honestly believe these prerequisites prepare you for future encounters but they will never compare to the real thing. The resources an experience anthropologist can provide with help contribute to our prior knowledge as well as assist in future endeavors.

One thought on “W6 Reflection: Public Health

1. I too am interested in Public Health and completing my Master’s in Public Health and Hospital administration. I think it’s important to approach the topic of community health with an understanding of anthropology as well, since I think that a lot can be learned by combining the study of anthropology with medicine. I think its also important to look at the health issues at hand with a cultural, social perspective as well. Its often easy to forget that each patient comes with a unique set of different cultural “norms” and I think that it is the healthcare professionals’ job to take this into account and look beyond seeing a 68-year old African American female with diabetes mellitus. I also think that its important to look at the different ways of “dealing” with pain. For patients that are terminally ill, they should look into the support of certain prayer and religious hospital chaplains, laughter, and dog therapy. These ways of healing, may not actually help cure or clear up any given disease, but they offer a more comfortable way to cope with a certain ailment. Like the given example of the Clown doctors for the sick children. It is known that it makes the children feel better, perhaps maybe not physically, but at least from an emotional standpoint.