W4 Reflection: Diabetes

The medical condition that I have chosen for this post is diabetes, often referred to by doctors as diabetes mellitus. This condition is caused by the body not creating enough insulin to control the body’s blood glucose levels and essentially describes a group of metabolic diseases in which the person has high blood sugar. In inadequacy of insulin can cause severe symptoms and even death these symptoms include stroke, heart disease, kidney disease, vision loss, neuropathy, and several more. I have always had an interest for diabetes because my mother was diagnosed with it when I was very young. There are two known types of diabetes, these being type 1 and type 2. Type 1 diabetes is more common in adults, and involves the body attacking the pancreas, which is the main source of insulin. Type 2 diabetes is more common and children, and can be caused by a number of things including lack of exercise, which causes obesity, poor diet, or a poor immune system. My mom has type 1 diabetes so she is required to take insulin shots every day. Diabetes really scared my mom at first. Our family constantly went out to eat, and she always felt left out because she couldn’t get what everyone else was getting, or her serving sizes that she could consume were much smaller. The clip we watched titled “A Day Living with Diabetes” greatly explains what it is truly like for most people that deal with it. This included regularly checking blood sugar, strict diet limiting calories, and some people even with an insulin pump. It is no joking matter.

I think that the connection between belief and healing can be described in the film “Placebo: Cracking the Code.” In this film, patients are given different placebo’s and some are in the belief that they have been healed, even though they were just given sugar pills. This can be deemed psychological, but I think that belief can be dragged into another factor, being faith. There have been stories of miraculous healing in the medical world. I think that a lot of healing can deal with the psychological belief that the person is healed, but also based on their belief system in terms of faith and religion. I can relate this to personal experience. My grandmother, before she died had dealt with brain and lung cancer for several years. She always kept the firm belief that she was going to get healthy and be out of there in the following week. This kept the rest of the family happy because of her optimism. I find there is the possibility of this happening in many cases in medicine, making belief and healing and the placebo effect an interesting phenomenon.