W3 Activity: Obesity in the U.S

The assessment of obesity is usually determined by the Body Mass Index or (BMI) range that many medical doctors or health care professionals refer to when evaluating our weight. Culturally, I believe that sometime this scale may be a little biased when we consider certain genetic factors we can’t change. For example, I am 5’2” and 145 pounds and the Body Mass Index considers me over weight when I show no visible signs of being over-weight. I am very active and I can’t change my body composition for this scale. I understand society believes thinner is healthier but in personal cases such as mine may the BMI weight ranges could use a bit of an adjustment.

I chose to select the scholarly article on the Prevalence of Childhood and Adult Obesity in the United States from the year 2011 until 2012. This study was conducted by Cynthia L. Ogden, Margaret D. Carroll, Brain K, Kit, and Katherine M. Flegan in order to further investigate why more than one-third of adults and seven-teen percent of youth in the US are consider obese. Their primary objective was to provide a more recent analysis of national estimates of childhood obesity and the way in which they may evaluate trends in adult and childhood obesity. Their results found that in 2011-2012, there was no significant change in obesity rate and they continued to further discuss why this results may continue to reoccur.

In relation to this week’s course material, I believe that the relevance of this study in correlation with Biological, cultural and individual dimensions of illness is that fact that obesity is the primary focus of many public health effort in the United States. With obesity follows health hazards and risks for instance, hypertension, high blood pressure, Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes, and worst of all heart conditions (myocardial infarction) or death. With help of each of these dimensions we can work to ensure this CBS plateaus and digresses in future years!

“Prevalence of Obesity in the United States, 2011-2012.” JAMA Network. Accessed July 3, 2015.

“Defining Overweight and Obesity.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. April 27, 2012. Accessed July 3, 2015.