W2 Reflection: Post Prompt

W2 Reflection: Post Prompt 

CategoryW2 Reflection

Title: Start your title with the week number (“W2 Reflection: ”)

Write down the “race(s)”  or “ethnicity” you identify with and an illness that is disproportionately prevalent among that group.  (e.g. “W2 Reflection: Cervical Cancer among Asian women”)

Body: (300 words)

• Insert a graph or image illustrating rates of this disease in one ethnic group compared to another
  • Based on the materials from this week, explain the relationship between race, genetics, and health. Be thorough in your explanation and use examples from class.
  • Explain the health disparity you chose in your title and explain why you think it is so prevalent among that group (genetic factors? social determinants?)
  • Cite your sources at the bottom in Chicago Style

Comment: (200 words)

• Choose a post that identified a different health disparity in their title.
  • Read through their post and evaluate their explanation of the relationship between race, genetics and health? Is there something they didn’t consider? Did they mention something you wouldn’t have considered?
  • Tell them how useful you think racial categories are in clinical studies and offer a better way of talking about racialized health disparities.

One thought on “W2 Reflection: Post Prompt

1. Hi Courtney!
    I thought your explanation of the relationship between genetics, race, and health was well put. It was very similar to my thoughts and what I wrote for my reflection. Although out posts shared similar considerations, one thing I left out was Clarence Gravlee’s three claims of the classic critique of race. These claims are very to the point and doing a great job of explaining how race has so little to do with our health and biological processes when compared to most other lifestyle factors. It was a great point to cite in your reflection!
    I also identify as a Caucasian female and it was interesting to learn that ovarian cancer is most prevalent within that demographic. If I were to guess the reasoning as to why this is, I would also say it is likely due to a variety of factors, both biological and social.
    Because we have learned that race is not genetically defined and is instead more of a social construct, I personally do not believe stratifying racial categories is the most useful way to perform clinical studies. However, since many races tend to have similar lifestyles and cultural events, I can see why race would be accounted for. Instead of stratifying a study by every single lifestyle factor any person may have (which would be both difficult and time-consuming), I understand that race may be more of an “umbrella” term for those things. If a person had the resources to stratify by each lifestyle factor of each participant in the study and chose to do so, that could produce a more accurate result.
    Your post was very well written and quite interesting!