W1 Activity-Anxiety

As I mentioned in my reflection post, the distinction between health and illness is obvious to me. My definition of disease is something you can “catch” for lack of a better word from other people who have it or an area that is home to it and isn’t as easy, maybe even impossible, to get ride of. An illness is basically being “under the weather” or “having a bug” and is something that one can get from just everyday life and is relatively easy to get rid of. I think these criteria came from a mix of school, the media and family. In school we learn about all kind of things that put one image in your head and then the media tries to change the publics opinion by “glamorizing” or “sugar coating” things. My family also played a role because they are full of their own thoughts and opinions that are things I grew up listening to. I think all three of these put together helped me shape my own opinions and beliefs about these topics to ultimately get to the definitions I have stated.

Of the conditions given in the activity video I think anxiety and sadness are two that could stir up some conversation. I first believe that anxiety should be considered an illness because it’s something in my opinion that you can experience from the strain of everyday life but may not necessarily be able to get ride of easily. It is a condition that can come about because of family, school, the news or honestly anything and can be helped with prescriptions or over the counter drugs.  On the opposite side of it I believe sadness should not be considered an illness because to me it’s an emotion that can be brought on by everyday events but is not something that lasts a long time or is helped by taking prescriptions or over the counter drugs.  I would argue that depression should be considered and illness but not sadness.

One thought on “W1 Activity-Anxiety

1. After further research into how anxiety is handled in foreign cultures I learned that it is typically viewed as more of a problem in rural locations than urban areas. The anxiety is also considered a disease and stems from issues such as financial difficulties, interpersonal conflicts, unemployment and alcoholism. Many cultures, such as in India, avoid associating anxiety as a mental illness and diagnostics of depression. Instead, they use terms like “stress” and “tension”. In our culture today there is a wide range of people who struggle with anxiety, regardless of whether they live in rural or urban environments. However, many psychiatrists in the US also tend to avoid diagnosing depression or anxiety directly to a patient. They also treat them as normal conditions to possess rather than a mental disease which requires immediate treatment.
    Anxiety can often go untreated in rural areas of countries, such as parts of Poland. Many health care providers focus on other areas of medicine and very few psychiatrists are left to treat conditions such as anxiety. Most of the few said psychiatrists tend to wealthier and higher class communities, which leaves the mid to lower class often untreated.

1. “Depression and Anxiety Across Cultures.” Psychology Philosophy and Real Life RSS. Accessed July 10, 2016. http://counsellingresource.com/features/2008/03/14/depression-anxiety-crosscultural/.
    2. Hofmann, Stefan G., Anu Asnaani, and Devon E. Hinton. “Cultural Aspects in Social Anxiety and Social Anxiety Disorder.” Depression and Anxiety. 2010. Accessed July 10, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3075954/.