W1 Activity: Insomnia

Health to me is when my body is physically and mentally feeling great. When the body does not show any symptoms of disease. Getting your yearly physical and finding out that nothing is wrong. I could say that my body is at homeostasis. I can feel a difference in my body both physically and mentally when I  am working out and heating healthy. I would rarely feel sluggish and would be very confident in the choices I make. For the period of time where I would not be on a diet and exercising was not important, I would be very lazy and seems like many negative thoughts would be running through my head. I would be less confident and less motivated. Illness is when someone is unhealthy psychologically, leading to the body and mind not working correctly. The criteria I used was family and society. Family and society had a huge influence on my perception of health. Growing up, my idea of being healthy was always being active and eating right. Society has influenced my whole family that being healthy is just showing that you are physically in shape.

I believe that Insomnia should be considered an illness. Insomnia is the inability to sleep and can be caused by many psychological factors. Insomnia can lead to stress, anger, and anxiety. Insomnia can cause the body to be unhealthy from all the physical and psychological stress. I believe anxiety is a mental illness. Anxiety is when someone is in fear or worries throughout the day which impacts their daily routine. Anxiety can cause panic attacks, obsessive compulsive disorder, and post traumatic stress disorder. Insomnia and Anxiety are both psychologically draining and influence the daily life of an individual. Both of these are illnesses because they cause the individual to be unhealthy physically and mentally.

One thought on “W1 Activity: Insomnia

1. I agree with you in the respect that insomnia should be considered an illness. Normally, people are able to fall asleep naturally at night time. However, when you have insomnia, you are unable to fall asleep no matter how much you try. This could be attributed to many factors, stress being a common one. In the United States, insomnia is usually treated with prescription medication that is prescribed to you by a doctor. In Taiwan, however, the people visit herbal clinics for a prescription of Chinese Herbal Medicine to help with their insomnia. Shou-wu-teng was the most commonly prescribed single Chinese herb for the treatment of insomnia in 2002. Interestingly, females chose to be prescribed herbs over traditional western medicine more frequently than their male counterparts. Also, people between the ages of 40 and 50 compromised the majority of herb patients. This makes me think that the older generations are more used to traditional medicine over modern medicine. While the locals believe that the natural medicine helps with their ailments, there still have been few clinical trials on the herbs. The safety and scientific effectiveness of the medicines have yet to be conclusively evaluated. The abundance of people seeking treatment for insomnia leads me to believe that perception is generally positive and there is not much of a stigma against it in the Taiwanese culture.

Works Cited:

Chen, Fang-Pey, Maw-Shiou Jong, Yu-Chun Chen, Yen-Ying Kung, Tzeng-Ji Chen, Fun-Jou Chen, and Shinn-Jang Hwang. “Prescriptions of Chinese Herbal Medicines for Insomnia in Taiwan during 2002.” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2011 (2011): 1-9. Accessed 2016. doi:10.1093/ecam/nep018