W1 Reflection: Applied Approach

I believe the applied approach is the best bet. This is because it is focused on finding a solution to the problem. As medical professionals its our goal to provide some sort of intervention to help the patient. Though having said that there has to be some consideration to the ethnocentric approach. There has to be clear communication from the provider to the patient and from the patient to the provider. Providers must also be respecting of the patients beliefs/customs while providing care.

To me the distinction between illness and disease is one in the same because either could be regarded as a divergence from normal health, as defined by the body’s maintaining of homeostasis. I think that many people feel this way and its because of how frequently the two terms are used interchangeably. Reflecting on the subject, disease seems to coincide with actually having a clinical diagnosis whereas illness is more correlated to the experience of the sickness that the person is having.

I read Miner’s article with great interest as he described this culture. It wasn’t until he described the “latipso” that I made the realization that he was talking about our American culture. One of the more striking things in his text was the worshiping of the medicine cabinet; how we turn to it for all of our ailments. In addition to this, he also describes how most medicine cabinets are filled almost to the point of overflowing, yet people seem to fear getting rid of any outdated items as it may compromise their health. He also did good to make light of our fascination with beauty. How people will exhaust themselves of time and money in order to achieve a desired look.

4 thoughts on “W1 Reflection: Applied Approach

1. Although I chose the biological approach to be the most important for me I can see how you choose the applied approach. Its one thing to know the problem however, thats no good if you can’t find a solution. To find a solution you don’t just need to understand the biomedical side however you also need to understand your patient.

From the Miner’s article you made a great observation. I never thought about overflowing of the cabinet in the same light as you. People letting their cabinets overflow in fear of getting rid of old medicine because they believe it may compromise their health is a great perspective. As I looked around my home I came across a lot of outdated medicine. I think people are afraid to throw away something that once helped them or maybe still could. Reading the article this point never jumped out at me however, I believe it to be very true about America. Without reading your post I totally would have missed that point. Its great to see your peers outlook on things.

2. Hi!
    I really enjoyed reading your post and think you have some great points. When I was choosing in between approaches I considered applied as one of the most important. After all, the patient is always the biggest concern and every case is patient-specific. I can see how you chose the applied approach to be the most important. When it comes to disease and illness, I agree that in today’s society the terms are used as synonyms much too often.

With the article written over 50 years ago, I don’t think much has changed, if anything the practices he described have been amplified. Self-image has become everything in today’s society and countless new drugs, weight-loss supplements, and vitamins are put on the market to “better our living”. People wake up in the morning, take 6 different types of pills, then start their days. One difference that may have come up within the last fifty years is that this type of culture has been spreading around the world. It isn’t just American’s who are obsessed with their medicine cabinets anymore, it is in Europe and China and parts of the Middle East. This culture is now global and it doesn’t seem to be slowing down any time soon.

3. I really enjoyed reading your post about your decision to choose the Applied Approach. Your ideas, and reasons, for choosing it make a strong case as to why it is the best bet. Especially because the applied approach, like you had said, is based on finding a solution to the problem.

As for the rituals you had discussed, I believe that they both are very comparable to todays societies and standards. You mentioned the ritual of worshipping the medical cabinet, and how we always go to it. I believe that it is still very similar to today. Many people turn to drugs to solve their problems, and have multiple prescriptions at one time. Whether or not people abuse that freedom, or not, is a totally different story. However, there is no doubting that we still turn to medicine for our problems.

The other ritual you mentioned was our overall fascination with beauty. This too hasn’t changed much over the past 50 years. People are still obsessed with looking the best, and going to great lengths to achieve that look. Whether it be going to a surgeon, dentist, or even the gym, people, even 50 years later, will stop at nothing to look better than they once did, and better than other people.

4. Even though I chose the biological approach, I can easily see how someone would choose the applied approach. I agree that having a solution to a medical problem is useless without an effective way to implement it. Too many times in history has an exceptional solution to a problem been wasted due to poor planning and implementation. Without careful planning, especially in the field of health care, you may unintentionally do more harm than good when attempting to help an individual or group of people.

I wholeheartedly agree that many people are afraid to throw away any kind of spare medication in their house due to the fear that they may need it again or that it may become too expensive for them to afford in the future. As I also noted in my post, Americans are completely obsessed with body image and that has still not changed today. One major difference I do notice today, however, compared to when Miner’s article was published was the availability and marketing of pharmaceutical drugs directed at consumers. It is impossible to view any sort of media without an advertisement for a new pharmaceutical drug being presented. Americans today are far more obsessed with pharmaceuticals than they were at the time this article was written. It is not uncommon for someone to schedule an appointment with a doctor simply to request a prescription for a drug they saw advertised on TV because they feel they need it to improve their quality of life when in reality it may in fact not help at all or potentially even make them feel worse.