W1 Activity- The Flu

I interpret the definition of health to be the absence of illness or disease, similar to the clinical definition understood by many physicians. As I detailed in the the other post, I understand illness to be a more acute, transient problem, where a disease is an ongoing condition and more of a broader category, where an illness is a symptom or result of a disease.

I suppose I understood how illness and disease are defined mainly from schooling and my education throughout high school and college. Within this context I most likely learned these definitions from institutions of modern medicine that categorize patient conditions for clinical purposes, and these definitions are in turn, taught to health science students.

The flu was one of the listed conditions that really stood out to me as an illness. The condition of influenza is caused by the influenza virus. It can be treated and cured without too much inconvenience. It is certainly a transient condition and I would consider it to be an illness.

Another condition that caught my eye was anxiety. Many people may not consider anxiety to be an illness, and some clinics may define recurring bouts of anxiety as anxiety “disorder”. I do, however, think that anxiety could be described as an illness, specifically a mental illness, in regards to the transient and not prolonged nature of anxious feeling. For many people, and me personally, anxiety is experienced on a weekly and even daily basis. Someone may have small twinges of anxiety one day about an assignment, and about leaving your dog with dogsitter the next, but but it is a condition that is experienced for only a small amount of time, for most people, before it is relieved. These observations lead me to believe that anxiety can be described as a mental type of illness.

One thought on “W1 Activity- The Flu

1. Hello Olsenmi,

The flu is a very common illness all around the world, while most people in the U.S. who just drink a lot of fluids and relax for a few days to recover from it, in other countries like China, the traditions of healing from many illnesses involve herbs. While in many countries it is believed that there is no cure for having the flu, the Chinese medicine practitioner believe otherwise. It usually takes about a week to recover from the flu if no treatment is received, but some people take over the counter drugs to help with uncomfortable symptoms such as a headache, sore throat, etc. However, the Chinese medicine practitioner believe that with an accurate diagnosis and treatment for most uncomfortable symptoms like headaches, sore throat, and others should start feeling relief within 1-2 days and the sick individual would be recovered in only 2 days if treated with herbal tea unlike the typical flu that would last up to a week untreated. In China “Gui Zhi Tang” is an important formula in their medicine for the flu. This formula can be taken regularly to strengthen the immune system instead of flu shots being taken seasonally like most people do here in the United States.

Sophia Tang, “Treating Colds and Flus with Classical Chinese Medicine,” Internet Brands Health (2016). Accessed July 10, 2016. https://www.acufinder.com/Acupuncture+Information/Detail/Treating+Colds+and+Flus+with+Classical+Chinese+Medicine