W4 Reflection: Father Postpartum Depression

The condition I chose to look at was postpartum depression in males after their significant other gives birth. Obviously we have heard of this in females however the idea of the father experiencing such a thing was new to me. That is where the culture aspect comes in. This is something that men were ashamed of feeling, as gathered from the article, and I think that puts a negative connotation on the condition in our culture. Or the fact that in our culture traditionally the mother is the one who cares for and tends to the baby and the fathers skills as a dad or dealing with the addition to the family are usually ignored. Something that also struck me was how many men experience this which was over a 1000 new dads a day. This to me was a shock because it was something I hadn’t heard about before or if I had I would have brushed it off as illegitimate.

In terms of the placebo film we watched, it opened my eyes to how strong the connection between the mind and body really is. I always new that your mind could cause your body to alter states, like if you get sick to your stomach just thinking about doing something. However, I didn’t the connection between belief and healing is one that could be or should be explored in modern medicine. In the film it was astonishing to see how an individual actually convinced himself to be terminally ill or having cancer and dying because of it. Not only did the patient consider himself done for but the doctor may have played a role in how the patient viewed his illness. This idea opens doors to study or research that could be very useful when looking at doctor patient interactions. This changes my outlook on life a little bit, even though I have always been a strong believer in “if you think it, it will be”.