W5 Reflection: Life/Death

The bio medicine culture in the United States is something that is very important in the way that medicine is practiced and how the quality of care is determined for a patient. Biomedicine culture can best be defined as how a provider cares for their patient and how they practice medicine. This specific type of culture is very important to be understood and taken seriously because the world will always need physicians who are educated and passionate about what they do. Regardless of how fast technology is advancing and new types of medical devices are being developed, the world will need direct patient care through providers who can be held accountable to ensure the best level of care. After watching the lecture and learning about the phenomenon of the “expert patient”, I quickly realized that this can be a big problem for the biomedicine culture. The expert patient is when someone starts to trust their own instinct of what they think their medical condition is by looking something up online or getting information about their illness from a source other than directly speaking to a medical professional.  With internet use becoming much more prevalent in society and with people having easier access to it, this phenomenon is happening more and more often which can result in people not receiving the treatment they actually need.

The dichotomy that I chose to reflect on is life and death. This dichotomy is a very interesting topic because its meaning differs among everyone and there is really no simple way to explain it. I think that this dichotomy can most simply be said as life being considered someone who is living and with a pulse, regardless of their state of health, and death being someone who is no longer with us and is without a pulse and can not be revived. After working in three different hospitals over the past several years I have seen both sides of this and it has helped me understand it. Even when someone is in the ICU and their health is deteriorating quickly and the family is aware that they will likely not recover, they are still in the room with them trying to comfort them regardless of if they are conscious and able to hear them. They cherish the last moments of time that they have with their loved one and     that is what I think is the main distinction between life and death. I personally went through a similar situation when I lost my father during my freshmen year to Cancer. We stayed with him in the room for two days in the ICU until he passed away with my brother and I at his side, and those last few moments of life that I spent with him are something that I will forever hold close to me and cherish.