W5 Reflection: Male/Female

When I think about the “culture of biomedicine” or Western medicine I think about it as a way of life in the health system. Everyone has different ways of diagnosing, beliefs, languages, different fields of medicine, etc. I think all doctors learn the same information but deliver it differently (in their own way) depending on each patient. I think this is an important concept because now I understand that if a person is ill it is because of a disease and in order for them not to be ill the disease has to be treated/cured not just the illness. I believe that disease and illness is equivalent to cause and effect.  Biomedicine has had a huge impact on the west since it is a great way to treat illness.

The dichotomy I chose is male and female. I chose these two because there is always a debate between me and male peers about which is better.  Of course I think females are better than males because I am one but I have other reasons too. In society males are looked upon as the more dominant species and females are looked upon as naturally submissive. Females and males are different in many ways like reproductive organs, looks, clothing, speech, strength, etc. Females are stronger emotionally while males are stronger physically. Males can be looked down upon by society if they indulged in the things females do like wear dresses/skirts, heels, make-up, etc. I believe females are better because we can endure pain better than males can. If a male had to give birth or bleed 5-7 days every month they would kill over but this is something that comes natural to us. I also believe that there are double standards when looking at these two because if a female has too many sexual partners she’s looked at as a whore but if a male has too many sexual partners he’s looked at as normal or “the man”. Back in the day females would stay at home cooking, cleaning, and taking care of children while males were the ones to work and provide, “breadwinners”. In the world we live in today females and males take on both roles.

2 thoughts on “W5 Reflection: Male/Female

1. While I do not agree with your statement that females are better than males (I believe that we’re equal), I do agree that clinicians must take into account how social roles for both the sexes have changed. One hundred years ago, if a woman came in for treatment, it is possible that a doctor might suggest bed rest, to let the body naturally heal, while men may have received medication or some other form of treatment so that they could quickly re-enter the work force. However, nowadays it is possible to see a family dynamic where the man is a homemaker and the woman is the breadwinner. In this case, it would be just as important for the female to have a speedy recovery.
    I like how you brought up how there has been an increase in the number of female doctors. It is important for clinicians to recognize this, as they must learn how to treat women as their peers, rather than a subordinate. Even though it is 2016, many of my female cousins are still referred to as “nurse” when doing rounds.
    In terms of patients, it is important for physicians to realize that there is a biological difference between males and females, and some patients may not be comfortable having a doctor of the opposite sex. While doctors are professional, and probably immune to reacting differently when examining a boy versus a girl, it is important for physicians to realize that no matter how professional they are, a girl probably won’t want him to be doing her gynecological exam. This is why it is important for a hospital to employ just as many female doctors as male ones, as some females may refuse to seek treatment from a male doctor. This can be seen when I go to India. Since the towns where my mother and father lived are still very conservative, the male doctors there will sometimes refuse to see female patients if they have to take any articles of clothing (unless it’s an emergency).

2. I thought it was very interesting how you described that in our culture today, males and females can take on both social roles. Although things have not changed entirely, women are no longer as oppressed as they used to be and are not required to be naturally submissive to a man. This changes how they are treated in a medical environment, and now there are more women doctors in the work place than ever. I think that it is important for clinicians to understand the particular dichotomy between males and females because it can significantly affect the way that they treat their patients and how well the patients respond to treatments. How women are treated compared to men also varies by what culture they are accustomed to, so this needs to be considered also. For an example, it is the belief in some Middle Eastern cultures that a woman should not be alone with or viewed without clothing by any man other than her husband. For the female patient to be treated properly this would need to be taken into consideration and a female doctor would probably be the best choice to examine her. If a physician were to disregard this belief system the patients could be very offended and refuse to seek medical treatment again in the future.