W5 Reflection: Nature/Culture

Biomedicine is so pervasive that it is hard to determine what is considered an illness between cultures.  Also, biomedicine changes over time between and within different cultures.  Biomedicine is a branch of medical science that applies biological and other natural science principles to clinical practice, this branch especially applies to biology and physiology.  There are many differences between cultures and their beliefs regarding biomedicine.  Biomedicine is important because it is scientific and logical, although it is not perfect it has evolved tremendously and has prevented and saved many lives, regardless of culture.  For example, penicillin has saved several lives but the people that have had certain experience with it in its trials have very different experiences.

The dichotomy that I chose is nature and culture.  I chose to discuss this topic because I think that the argument is interesting, that some people believe that all people are universally the same while others believe that each person in a culture is different.  I personally believe that people from different cultures are different from others.  I think that were people come from geographically and culturally, morals, values, and beliefs, specifically on medicine, are different.   For example, people that live in tropical areas are hot areas of the world, like Africa, where malaria is really common while in others countries, like the America or Canada, where it is practically none existent.  Also, we previously discussed the differences in how other cultures view illnesses and how they cure or prevent them.  Some believe that some illness are not illnesses while other people of different cultures would consider a certain illness an illness.  Like the western cultures view on PMS, while this is not even recognized in many other cultures.  I think that the nature/culture is becoming more accepted in western society because people and medical professionals are more understanding that not every body is universally the same but a person’s culture is very important to consider when treating their illness or ailment.