W5 Reflection: Healthy/Sick

By definition, biomedicine is the application of the natural sciences to clinical medication.  It can also be defined as the science that regards how the environment affects the human body.  Biomedical culture, however, is based largely on western culture, and is formed from dichotomies.  Culture is an important aspect of biomedical culture as the use of medicine varies from culture to culture, and varies within a culture as well due to societal differences.

I decided to analyze the healthy/sick dichotomy as I believe they are recognized differently by different cultures.  In a physical sense, “healthy” means that your body is physically perfect, and “sick” means that you have the flu, or some other diagnosable illness.  However, I do not think that this distinction is accurate, as someone with depression should be considered ill even though it is not a “physical” illness

I believe that westerns like dichotomies because we like to categorize things.  If you are not sick, you are healthy.  If you are sick, you are not healthy.  Also, since things often cannot exist without their opposite, I think the dichotomy was accepted in society instead of simply adopting one of the terms.  If we did not know what “healthy” was, we would not have known what “sick” was, and vice versa.

d earlier, I do not think that a lot of dichotomies are accurate, as there are often things that are in between.  For example, someone could be physically healthy but have depression.  I do not like the health/sick dichotomy as there is so much variance in how people interpret what is what.  Someone who had the flu may consider a cold to be nothing, but someone who had never gotten sick before may consider a cold to be something that could kill them.  Also, since the dichotomy, in my opinion, only deals with physical health, I do not think it is an accurate way to base one’s health.