W6 Activity : Maternal Deaths in Nigeria

Maternal Deaths are just sad I don’t have another way to word it, to me maternal deaths are events not a disease. Maternal death happening during childbirth and there is usually loss of child and mother or the mother it is a tragedy to the family, locals and the country which effect the countries numbers on the life expectancy. Nigeria is one of the developing countries where health and education is hard to find with the surrounding beginning unsanitary. Maternal death are usually happened more in the villages are not that unsanitary and there are no promises that the person delivering has done any sanitary practice.  Culture in Nigeria is that babies are born I the home and only one – third are attended by a doctor, nurses or midwives. Socially the delivery personal are people live in their neighborhood and they are not a health care provider or trained us one. Politically they don’t get support from the government or there are not any laws regarding the event of event or about the education/training of that person doing the delivery should have before doing anything to the mother or fetus. About 58% of the women get Iron supplement and 39% of them received drugs to prevent the malaria which an epidemic in Nigeria. NGO’s like WHO (World Health Organization), World Bank and Unicef are some of the many few who provide money and health care providers to the sufferings. WHO and other and other organization put these matter on spotlight for the world to see. Anthropological approach was applied and the research done towards is much observed. Statics use to describe it only from the villages and small towns no that the numbers would change drastically in the city. They descried how it was before after changes and how the medical practices of delivering a baby is different precedent culturally throughout the years and how well are the pregnant women beginning taken care of by the social and government.        

“Trends.” WHO. Accessed August 12, 2016. http://www.who.int/pmnch/activities/countries/nigeria/en/index1.html.

3 thoughts on “W6 Activity : Maternal Deaths in Nigeria

1. Hey Bhargavi,

I agree with you, maternal deaths are more then a disease, more than a normal event, I like to use the word tragedy when describing the loss of an infant. I literally cannot imagine not having medical support near me during the birth of my child. Better yet, not having anyone with experience near by until after the birth has occurred. After my mother gave birth to me, the doctor approached my dad and told him that we were awfully lucky that my mother and I both made it out alive. He said that he expected one of us not to make it. His plan of attack was to do whatever it took to save the other person from dying. So if I flat lined first, he would go all out to save my mother or vice versa. For overall sake of Nigeria I believe they should first and foremost begin to fund the education of these caregivers that help give birth to these children. It will increase their life expectancy and population tremendously. Also, the conditions that these women give birth in need to be upgraded immediately. It’s difficult for me to wrap around the fact that these women are having children in their homes when we’re in the 21st century. All lives matter and we should start by saving the lives of our future.

Good activity!

2. Hello,
    The article that you shared is published by the World Health Organization and they are also one of the entities that took part in preventative measures for the very unfortunate high levels of maternal deaths in Nigeria. In addition to the World Health Organization, other organization such as UNICEF and the World Bank played a role in providing the resources and education (I assume from a biomedical standpoint) that they felt Nigeria was lacking causing the maternal deaths. It is spoken about that what we (Westerners) may see as necessary protocol for giving birth to a child, a sterile environment (not one’s home) and a biomedical professional, were some of the resources that are needed to prevent maternal death. So, essentially we are considering an applied approach. We have considered the circumstances, the culture as it relates to childbirth. After accessing the situation, keeping the cultural background in mind, we apply some prevention techniques. I think it’s important we consider the ideals of those we wish to assist globally because biomedicine is not universal. Using our knowledge of the culture we are dealing with we apply prevention programs and the necessary education. There are certainly paces where women are second class citizens, it’s embedded in the politics and the mindset of the people. So, in this case that would be a part of the assessment before addressing the issue at hand.
    Regards,
    Victoria

3. Thank you for sharing about maternal deaths in Nigeria. I agree that this topic is very, very upsetting. As an individual who has grown up surrounded by Western medicine practices, I think it is really hard to imagine what these mothers must go through when there is a great chance they will lose their child because of lack of medical care and unsanitary conditions. However, I think it is interesting that the cultural practices in Nigeria support the children being born in the home and unattended and that they birth assistance comes from untrained individuals in the community. Do you know if there are cultural or religious systems in these Nigerian communities that prevent mothers from giving birth in more sterile facilities? I also found interesting that the World Health Organization is able to support some of these mothers by providing certain medications to prevent malaria and anemia and that these mothers will accept these medications. Because of this, I wonder if there are less cultural belief systems that prevent these mothers from getting help and more so just a true lack of access to better pregnancy care. I bring this up because of the video with the Tribal Jazzman Scholar who discussed how sometimes you can bring medicine to developing areas, but if cultural or religious belief systems prevent individuals from believing in their use, the medicine will be of no use.