ABFA

The American Board of Forensic Anthropology (ABFA) specializes in identifying human remains while working in tandem with legal systems in an attempt to solve crimes. The ABFA began as a non-profit organization in 1977 with the interest of furthering interest and certification in forensic anthropology.

With their expert knowledge of the human skeleton and attention to detail, forensic anthropologists are able to identify age, sex, stature, occupational markers, as wells other unique features that are able to conclude the behaviors of a person’s life. All of these findings contribute to the dialogue of human behavior, while comparing and contrasting the ways that culture can affect biology. Forensic anthropology is a highly specialized field that requires a Masters of Doctorate degree to practice in.

Forensic anthropologists aiding their expertise to solving crimes is incredibly helpful. As I stated before, attention to detail is pertinent so closely examining human remains helps to make evident cause of death, as well as potential weapons used to in murder. And while forensic anthropology can help to solve crimes committed soon after they happen, they can also aid in solving past crimes seeing as though skeletons stick around for awhile. Skeletons are very telling of the details of any one person’s life, and they also possess the ability to reveal the ways in which they may have died.

Exceptional knowledge of human skeleton is important to solving crimes, however there are other areas of expertise that are helpful in identifying victims. For example, forensic anthropologists also work with odontologists to study human teeth and dental records that can help extremely helpful in identify remains. Forensic anthropologists also work with pathologists in order discover the ways in which disease my have affected the body, how susceptible that person was to disease, and whether or not they died from disease.

I have to admit my interest in anthropology is mainly focused in the cultural area of the field, which is why I saved ANP 206 for last when completing my minor. I chose to research more about forensic anthropology and the ABFA because from time to time I do enjoy television shows about forensic anthropologists and was curious to know how accurate the shows might be in depicting the study. After reading this weeks material and researching the ABFA I’ve taken more of an interest in physical anthropology as it is fascinating to discover the ways in which culture and biology affect one another. Culture and biology are both important links that help to explain the human experience. It’s awesome!

One thought on “ABFA

1. I’m so glad you found something of interest in the readings and the blog research! I think one of the greatest things about studying anthropology is that the sub-fields can all overlap with one another to some extent. I hope you continue to be interested in physical anthropology in some form as you continue your cultural studies!