Forensic Anthropology

Growing up I’ve always been a fan of televisions shows that use forensic science to solve murders like; Snapped, Fatal Encounters and 48 Hours. Being that shows show very little of the steps and actual process behind forensic science and how it is used to solve these crimes, I decided to dissect the America Academy of Forensic Sciences to help me better understand this type of anthropology.

After reading exactly what AAFS was about and its objectives I had a better understanding of why its such a popular organization, representing all 50 United States, Canada, and 70 other countries worldwide. The Academy holds members such as;  physicians, attorneys, dentists, toxicologists, anthropologists, document examiners, digital evidence experts, psychiatrists, engineers, physicists, chemists, criminalists, educators, and others.”  That stood out to meet me, being that the organization is so broad and touches so many different aspects of a wide variety of fields that alone makes it a strong contributor to the broad theme of anthropology. The diversity in fields, opinions and culture can help bring so many different perspectives and even solutions to current issues at hand. AAFS is a multi-disciplinary professional organization that provides leadership to advance science and its application to the legal system. The objectives of the Academy are to promote professionalism, integrity, competency, education, foster research, improve practice, and encourage collaboration in the forensic sciences.

Other than the fact that AAFS or forensic anthropology touches a wide variety of fields, it is still very relevant in todays society because without it we probably wouldn’t have solved half the rapes, murders and crimes in general. Forensic science has helped solved so many important cases and crimes in history, sometimes the determining the fate of guilty or innocent can come down to a single hair follicle or blood splatter. Being that something so vital as forensic anthropology is subject to change or evolve overtime like anything thing else in the world, I think it is important and smart that AAFS holds annual scientific meetings and  publishes a internationally recognized scientific journal called the Journal of Forensic Sciences to keep people and member up to date with the latest changes or discovers. Something that I thought made AAFS different is its actual dedication to promote and help fellow anthropologist. AAFS provides job opportunity listings, expert witness referrals, as well as scientific reference studies. AAFS also has a Young Forensic Scientists Forum (YFSF), which is a group within the American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFS) that is “dedicated to the education, enrichment and development of emerging forensic scientists and future leaders of the field.  Participants of YFSF come from all sections and membership levels of the AAFS.”  YFSF provides an amazing and priceless opportunity for new forensic scientists to interact with and become part of the established forensic science community. This is something I know young people that want to emerge in this field really appreciate. Helping get their foot in the door can give them that more opportunity and insight to succeed in the field.

One thought on “Forensic Anthropology

1. I am also a big fan of forensic science based TV shows, which is why I found it really cool to read your essay about the American Academy of Forensic Sciences. I actually did not know that anthropology and forensic science could be related, but after reading about AAFS, I do see a lot of connections that could be made between the two topics. I was really surprised at how many different occupations the members of this organization had. I did not realize that physicians, attorneys, chemists or engineers could be involved in forensic anthropology! I really appreciate the inter-disciplinary nature of this organization, because since forensic anthropology does span a lot of topics, it’s important to take into account a lot of people’s opinions. I also really like how the organization tries to connect its members through the job listing and also involved younger anthropologists with the YFSF organization.