Blog 2

I cant quite recall the first time that I learned of evolution, but I also can’t recall a time that I didn’t accept it as truth. My perception of evolution as fact can be credited to all of the science courses I’ve taken throughout my schooling that have explained it in a way that left little reason to doubt the theory. With that being said, I have to recognize that this not the case in other areas of the world or even the country.

As an English major with a minor in Anthropology, I’ve done more than enough reading to recognize that there are more than enough ways to explain the reason for human existence. Anthropologically speaking, it would be unethical of me to state that my beliefs are correct in comparison to others, though I do find it difficult to understand others’ denial of evolutionary theory when I learn that they have had a similar cultural upbringing to myself. Nonetheless, the evidence of evolution and adaptation of epigenetics that the films and readings presented helped me to further understand the concept. As an English major with an interest in cultural anthropology I have never been asked to focus my attention in any hard sciences like chemistry or biology. I’ve always measured spaces and concepts in that didn’t result in any finite answers, and I have liked it that way.

My understanding of evolution was related to the ideas of adaptation and natural selection, which ultimately made sense to me at my age and understanding, and frankly, I had considered this education as wholesome and complete enough to rule it as ultimate in my mind. It was only when I was introduced to the field of epigenetics that my previous notion of evolution was challenged. To think that it is neither nature, nurture nor natural selection that decides the fate of a specimen (and thus an organism), was overall enthralling to me. From how I see it, epigenetics is something that takes from

One thought on “Blog 2

1. I’m the same way. I don’t remember a time when didn’t, at the very least, recognize evolution was the most likely scenario that lead to our creation. I feel we are very lucky that we lived in places that taught evolution without concern for the faux- controversy. The great thing about the scientific method is that it’s objective. If used correctly, it shouldn’t matter what anyone’s culture or background is, just that the evidence supports it. It is outrageous when people push for classic literature to be banned when it upsets their personal sensibilities, you can’t refuse to teach the tenets of science as we know it because some believe in something that has no evidence to support it. Of course the theory of evolution is a theory but until there is a theory with just as much evidence, it is still valid as far as we can tell.