BLOG 2- IDS & Evolution

As many other people have stated in their blog posts- evolution was only briefly taught at my high school. Going to a pretty well diversified private school, I had a lot of options in terms of science classes. As strict and traditional as the school itself was, with a high standard for academics, they allowed a lot of room for flexibility. I spent more time taking physics, chemistry, oceanography, geography and anything that wasn’t biology. Allowing students the option to take courses they were interested in yielded much higher results. (Way to go Country Day!) Prior to high school, however, I spent nine, very, very long years at a Catholic school where even the thought of evolution was frowned upon. High School was the first time I really felt like there was another way of thinking and believing that was different than my parent’s, well my mother’s, way of thinking and believing. So really, going into college, I hadn’t been exposed too much to the theory of evolution but I knew I wasn’t opposed to learning more about it.

As an Interdisciplinary Studies major, I was able to take quite a variety of courses over the last decade. (I’ve been in college for seven years- close enough) One class, that I found particularly interesting and was one of the very few University requirements I enjoyed, was my ISB class. Ah, History of Life. This really was where I learned the most about the theory of evolution and essentially how the world managed to survive and adapt to get to where we all are now. (Although with all of the crazy things happening in the world, I may take a few shifty plates and giant winged dinosaurs over all of the absurd violence ensuing so consistently). ANYWAYS. I felt like this class really was able to give me a good foundation of the theory of evolution. Furthermore, as my want to learn a lot more about a lot of different things lead me into several sociology, psychology and anthropology classes, my understanding for human variability expanded and I was able to gain a bit more of a knowledgeable perspective on such.

As for the readings this week (wow, apparently I really enjoy starting paragraphs with ‘as’), I can’t say they really made me think too differently about my field. Being a interdisciplinary Studies major really gives you the opportunity to study quite the variety of subjects. It also, subsequently, warrants the ability to think from an intersectional perspective, which I feel super grateful for. I’m curious as to if the readings had any sort of affect on perhaps, a religious studies major. Anyone? (Seriously- I’m really interested.) All in all, being a Michigan State Spartan means being able to have your views, your beliefs, and your values and being able to, for what I like to think is the most part, share them with others in a comfortable environment. Being an IDS major has given me the opportunity to think very subjectively and in this instance, really embrace all of the readings about evolution and be able to read and retain with an open-mind.