Blog Two

I’ve never learned much about evolution. Growing up the idea of evolution and humans evolving from apes wasn’t true. I grew up believing that God made us and we didn’t evolve from animals. I didn’t know what exactly evolution was until I began middle school, and even then I didn’t learn much about it. I’m looking forward to learn more about in it this course. My major is Interdisciplinary Studies, and this field allows me to explore multiple different subjects. For example, I’ve taken psychology and history classes and I’ve realized that these subjects understand evolution and human variability. The subject of History is self-explanatory, when history is concerned the thought of evolution always is in hindsight. However, psychology isn’t directly tied with evolution but it does have a lot to do with the biology of a human which can be traced back to evolution. Mental illness, such as bi-polar, can be hereditary and I believe that over the thousands of years it has evolved to what it is today.

The readings and lectures didn’t so much make think about my field in another light but it did make me think more about evolution. Reading the “Why Should Students Learn Evolution?” really gave me a lot of insight and was very intriguing. The reading says that the world is at risk of losing drugs that control many infectious diseases because of in antimicrobial resistance. It follows to say that ninety eight  percent of strains of gonorrhea in Southeast Asia are now resistant to penicillin. This statement blew my mind because I begin to think, if the medication is resistance what do we use for a cure instead? Then I read that 14,000 people die each year from drug resistant infections. Its really interesting how different infections can become immune and evolve so that the medicine provided can no longer cure the infection. It’s amazing how our bodies (human or animal) adapt to whatever environment we are in over time. For example, I’ve read that thousands of years ago giraffes necks weren’t as long as they are now, but food became scarce and instead of feeding off the grounds they had to feed from the trees and over time their necks begin to stretch and became longer.

I believe that evolution and anthropology helps us understand one another. Understand where our ancestors come from and how are physical and biological traits has helped us adapt to our environment.  

2 thoughts on “Blog Two

1. I think it is really interesting that you were not really taught that much about evolution when you were younger and instead had to learn about it more as you grew up. I’m sure it was quite a paradigm shift to learn about the theory of evolution and how it relates to human development! I think you are right about history being self-explanatory, especially with pre-human history, it is impossible not to address evolution. I think your point about mental illnesses is also very interesting because when we talk about evolution, we often talk mainly about physical characteristics rather than mental even though mental characteristics are just as important. I found the facts about drug resistant diseases surprising and shocking as well and wondered the same about how and if we will be able to find even newer cures to developing problems. Great post!

2. I think your discovery and understand of evolution is really interesting. Recognizing an entirely different explanation for human existence after thinking one way for a good portion of your life had to be a very interesting transition or acceptance of a duality. Often times I think that many people pair the concept of evolution exclusively with creationism, and identify their beliefs with one or the other. This is why your understanding of evolution is so cool, because it proves it be a continuing process instead of just an explanation for human life. Also, I found your statistics about drug resistance to be really fascinating, and honestly quite shocking. I realized that drug was an issue, but I did not know that it was the cause of death for that many people.