Blog two

My major is geographic information science and is a computer system for capturing, storing, checking, and displaying data related to positions on Earth’s surface. It is not a popular major as of late but is growing very fast because the demand in the job market is getting so high the workplace needs it because it is optimizing how corporations are being run. A little bit of background information on GIS because not many people know what it is, GIS is becoming essential to understanding what is happening and what will happen in geographic space. Once we understand, we can prescribe action. This new approach to management managing geographically is transforming the way organizations operate. GIS can save money in companies and cause better efficiency. GIS is the go-to technology for making better decisions about location. Common examples include real estate site selection, route/corridor selection, evacuation planning, conservation, and natural resource extraction. Making correct decisions about location is critical to the success of an organization. This GIS-based disaster decision support system helps Taiwan plan for and respond to typhoons.

Variability in humans can be tracked and mapped out for better understanding. Let’s say someone wanted to know why people look the way they do based on what part of the world they are located in. GIS can gather data and put them into layers narrowing down the hypothesis the user has about humans which will display the overlapping parts of different species. This can show why those races live where they do. It could take sun exposure in humans data and also elevation of where they lived and see if these have any reason to do with how they look. The great part about GIS is that is has no limits to what it can display. Almost any company in the world can use it. It can be used to study the habits of humans and what locations have the highest probability of those humans to do that there. For example fishing in the northeast or farming in the Midwest. For my capstone cours I displayed how drought in California has effected the population and how many people live there because it is getting so bad.

GIS benefits organizations of all sizes and in almost every industry. There is a growing interest in and awareness of the economic and strategic value of GIS.

The video lectures were very interesting I learned a lot but it did not cause me to learn anything more about GIS because I am almost finished with my degree and I have learned everything for the most part a student can learn. Obviously I have much more to learn in my career field and I’m looking forward to eventually become an expert in the field and the study of human variability or evolution would be an awesome area of work in GIS. I could learn all sorts of ways to understand why our population does what it does and why our population acts the way they act and not like past generations or even chimpanzees.

2 thoughts on “Blog two

1. Hey, we use GIS all the time in my major! Though obviously not extensively as you, urban planners often rely on GIS to better understand the cities that we live in. I agree it is a very tool with applications just about everywhere. I would be very surprised if GIS wasn’t used regularly in anthropology. Your example is a perfect scenario where GIS could assist anthropologists in better understanding our evolution. I believe one example used in the lectures was lactose intolerance as it affects different races. The study found that people whose ancestors didn’t live in a culture that drank milk had a greater chance of not having the ability to process lactose. I’m sure at some point during the study someone with some GIS knowledge placed a layer depicting historical milk consumption over a layer of people with lactose intolerance and saw some sort of pattern that made sense.

2. I have never heard of Geographical Information Science as a major, but it sounds really interesting! Honestly, it’s not something I think I would pursue myself but I found your post about it and it’s applications to be fascinating. All of the technologies that you will help to benefit sound really great, and it seems like a really applicable field to pair with Anthropology as a means to better understand human variability and environmental impact on humans. Sounds like you can help to build some really useful databases.