Blog Two- Evolution

As a Interdisciplinary Studies of Social Science Major I take a board spectrum of classes, most with in different fields of study not dealing with one another. I remember explaining to my friends why I was taking such a board arrange of classes all in different topics. For example, last semester I took two anthropology classes, a sociology class and a history class. My best friend was convinced that I was changing my major to anthro, because this would be my fourth class in this topic. They were all different branches of anthro and as  an outcome of this I get to hear and learn about different opinions or perspectives on the same topic.

Going into the topic of evolution these fields differ in perspectives from one another. Sociology looks into more of the evolution of individuals based off of the “nurture” side of the popular nature vs nurture debate.  In my previous sociology classes we looked at the social implications of race, and gender, focusing on how these characteristics can affect the amounts of stress and anxiety that exists within particular individuals. Learning that even though African American women are not oppressed in the same ways as in past history things like stress and anxiety still affected them and has the most affect during pregnancy wether these women were educated and successful or homeless. We also took a look at the “Ghost in the gene” video, and how researchers looked at how the mice behaved differently depending on how they were raised. History on the other hand may look at it more in a chronological order dissecting how changes that allow an organism to better adapt to its environment will help it survive and have more offspring.

This weeks videos and reading brought me bak to the basic understanding of evolution, it didn’t make me look at it in a different light but just restated what I’ve previously learned about it, some through middles/high school and course taken during my time at MSU. It  was more so talking about the original concept of evolutions and the basic key points. Something that always stroked my interest and was a resource from this week lecture is the closeness in genes from chimps to humans. I once remember the theory that humans evolved from chimps, that being the reason we have so many similarities. Later learning our that our DNA  is only 2% different from one another. In the article titled “The 2% Difference” it went father and discussed exactly where our 2 percent difference lies. Stating that “the chimp brain and the human brain differ hardly at all in their genetic underpinnings. Indeed, a close look at the chimp genome reveals an important lesson in how genes and evolution work, and it suggests that chimps and humans are a lot more similar than even a neurobiologist might think.” But our difference lie in DNA. According to the article genomes involving billions of nucleotides, a tiny 2 percent difference translates into tens of millions of ACGT differences. And that 2 percent difference can be very broadly distributed. Humans and chimps each have somewhere between 20,000 and 30,000 genes, so there are likely to be nucleotide differences in every single gene.

One thought on “Blog Two- Evolution

1. That’s so cool that you are able to take so many classes among so many different topics. It is interesting to hear about how evolution can be interpreted from the subjects you’ve studied. Sociology’s point of view is interesting in that is focuses on how individual’s stress levels can be affected. It’s cool that the lessons from this week were able to be a reminder of what you already understood about evolution. I also find our human resemblance to chimps to be very intriguing. It is almost hard to believe. It is interesting that only a 2% difference can account for such different physical appearances and that this is from tens of millions of ACGT differences. Great job!