Blog 3

While reading through the American Anthropological Association’s statement on race, a lot of interesting thing stood out. Who know genes and the way they flow can have such a huge impact of the type of person being that outcome. My personal belief is that we are all here because of God, I found the Founder Effect fascinating  and it kind of put in in the mindset of how we are all here, evolved from one creature. One creature that was created by God. The Founder Effect makes the genetic diversity limited to its original founders. If your creating a population from one or two beans that is all the gene have to choose from in the gene pool, for lack of better words. The explainable of the amish bloodline put it into great visual context for me. Prior to my knowledge taking this course I understood gene flow, but not how much it truly impacts the world and its people. The AAPA writes about gene flow in statements seven and eight in their “Statement on Biological Aspects of Race.” As result of the two different populations of people matting we have a  very diverse world, where I would say no on is probably a 100% anything but mixed a numerous genes and races. I think this is positive thing because it makes people more relatable to one another and not so separated. Genetic composition can change due to “natural selection, promoting adaption of the population to the environment; mutations, involving modifications in genetic material; admixture, leading to genetic exchange between local populations, and randomly changing frequencies of genetic characteristics from one generation to another” (AAPA, 1996).

Based on what Ive learned in the course so far, I would describe the non-existence of biological race to a person who was unfamiliar with the topic by simply saying their is no such thing as race. All humans belong to the same species and that “race”  do not biological exist among humans, biological being the key words. The AAA supports this and also arguments on race that “knowing the range of one trait does not predict the presence of others” supports my previous statements. Although the science of race is not real, it makes sense that “proponents of slavery in particular during the 19th century used “race” to justify the retention of slavery. The ideology magnified the differences among Europeans, Africans, and Indians, established a rigid hierarchy of socially exclusive categories underscored and bolstered unequal rank and status differences, and provided the rationalization that the inequality was natural or God-given. The different physical traits of African-Americans and Indians became markers or symbols of their status differences.” (AAA) Sadly, race is still used to justify hatred and horrible acts of violence against minorities and any skin tone that isn’t white, this is not an opinion but a fact in todays world. More recently the police brutally going on in the African American community. When will we learn that we’re stronger together, not apart? Hopefully before it’s too late.