Blog Three: Population Biology

After reading the statements on race from the American Association of Physical Anthropologists (AAPA) and the American Anthropological Association (AAA), there are many sections and statements  blow my mind, especially in the reading of AAPA, it states that “all humans living today belong to a single species, Homo sapiens, and shard a common descent.” I have never thought about this because for many years, human beings have classified and ranked people base on race, and there are some leaders have used race to control and brain wash people. For example, Why did  Adolf Hitler and Nazis hate Jews?  One reason is that Hitler believed Jews were responsible for losing World War One and economy crisis, the other reason is that Hitler and Nazis believed “pure races” and thought only the “Aryan race” was the strongest and best race, and only those people were worthy to be called “master race”, but Jews, Gypsies, Africans, and homosexuals were considered nothing for Hitler. In addition, even today,  people are still “fabricated the cultural and behavioral characteristics associated with each ‘race,’ linking superior traits with Europeans and negative and inferior ones to blacks and Indians,”and the scientists have proved “pure races” do not exist both in the present’s and today’s human species. Some people might argue that they are evolved and more superior than other people, but the truth is, “human progress in any field has been based on culture and not genetic improvement.” So, there is no certain kinds of races are better than other races because we all come from the same ancestor.

According to AAA, “The ‘racial’ worldview was invented to assign some groups to perpetual low status, while others were permitted access to privilege, power, and wealth.” People invent “the ‘racial’ worldview” to rank people, but they actually put thousands of people in a dangerous world. In today’s world, people shoot other people based on the reason that other races are inferior.

I would explain the non-existence of biological race to a person who was unfamiliar with the topic based on what I have learned in the course so far and also my experience. For instance, When people think about the feature of Asians, most of the people already have a clear picture in their mind that Asians have small eyes, such as phoenix eyes (like Mulan), long and straight hair with black color and flat and wide nose. Although I am Asian, I have big and deep-set eyes (compare to other Asians), curly and brown hair and thin and tall nose. As the result, there are many Asians think I come from multiracial background, and some of them do not consider me as Asian. However, my family members do not have these physical characteristics. I agree with the statement in AAA reading that “physical traits are inherited independently of one another, knowing the range of one trait does not predict the presence of others.” Even though we have different skin color and physical features, we actually have similar DNA, which is really surprising and unbelievable that human with dark skin color and human with light skin color have similar DNA.