Week Three: Statements on Race

Reading this week’s articles on the statements regarding race were very interesting. I enjoyed seeing the statements that the American Anthropological Association (AAA) and the American Association of Physical Anthropologists (AAPA) in reflection to race. The reading that caught my attention the most was the article by Norman J. Sauer. It is always cool to see someone a part of Michigan State University to have such an interesting article to read. The concept of race is a topic that is common and has been discussed a lot, especially in the majors of the Social Sciences. It is important to know a lot of factual information about race, variability, and culture before being able to make a statement or conclusion on the topic of race. The key words as stated by Norman J. Sauer, were forensic anthropology, race, race identification, and human variation. It was helpful to have more of an opinion to reflect on this article written because of what the course has taught us in the previous week in regards to human variation. It was a lot easier to think more about what the article was saying in the specific nature towards race. The part that stuck out to me regarding this topic for the week was the number eleventh statement by the American Association of Physical Anthropologists (AAPA). It states, “Physical, cultural, and social environments influence the behavioral differences among individuals in society.”. Not only from studious reasons, but from personal knowledge and experience, I am in alliance with the statement that was made. Many people are raised in a particular environment that provides, or even lacks morals and teachings of particular behaviors that are used in everyday life. Various situations and scenarios that human beings are placed into can have an effect on their mindsets, and how they behave in their personal, as well as professional lives. For example, some people use the phrase, “I am a product of my environment.” This quote simply means that in general, a person acts the way that they do, not just because of personal decisions, but because of the surroundings that the particular person was raised into. Various social environments cause various social contact and communication in different individuals regardless of race. For example, human beings raised in a less fortunate, also considered “urban” environments may have different survival tactics and experience in certain life scenarios than those raised in suburban and higher class areas. Race does not necessarily have as much influence into how and why people act the way that they do, more so the environment and social surroundings do. Along with the statement given by the AAPA, heredity does not affect how individuals can survive nor succeed in a social setting. I felt that the statement given by the AAPA was interesting and stuck out to me the most because it is an opinion that I personally have been stating since high school years, and it is interesting that a large group reflects my opinion as well.