Up until this year, I was really into religion and the bible. After taking my violence against women course this year I ditched the bible and realized how much I let religion, churchgoers, Christians and the bible control my life I honestly thought that God created Adam and Eve and that we were not descendants from chimps. Any talk about human evolution that involved chimps I didn’t want to hear it. The Christian religion teaches many of us to not believe science because science cannot prove that God does not exist so anything else that goes against what Christianity practices was to be heard but not accepted. As I was reading the article “Our true dawn: pinning down human origins,” the author argues that there is enough evidence to prove that our lineage dates back to chimpanzees but scientists cannot determine exactly when. Although there has been many speculations and guesses, many of them appear to be wrong and because of this, when scientists are able to determine the exact time, history will have to be rewritten from the very beginning.

Another thing that stood out to me is the video about primate social organization. Tree animals had tails that help them better adapt, save for apes. Seeing as to how we as humans have evolved from species alike, I would not have even paid attention to the fact that they don’t have tails. I highlight this to find the similarity that we, as humans, also don’t have tails. I think we can better understand our own biology, behavior, and culture by studying non-human primates by continuing to study them and highlight similarities between us. Like non-human primates, there is competition for food and mating. As our population increases, so does the need for our food resources as well which may be a problem in the future if population grows faster than the food we are producing. Furthermore, competition to find a great mate is common in humans, and especially those with college degrees. As women outnumber men on college campuses, they are least likely to settle for a man without a degree that’s their equivalent or higher. This makes for dating to be competitive.

What also stood out to me that can help us understand our relationship to nun-humans and their behavior is polyandry and polygamy. This behavior is not solely reserved for humans but also non-humans. Thus this further can help us understand that because we share similarities, we may be physically different, but we share many mental commonalities. I think it is important that we continue to study non-humans to aid the ways in which we understand each other. If scientists test an antibiotic out on, a chimp or monkey seeing as to they are starkingly similar to humans, and the outcome is negative side effects, they may be hesitant to try this out on humans for fear of causing death (lawsuits, etc.).

My last observation that stood out to me is the k-selection mammals. This is important to understand as humans because it is believed that there is a lot more investment in these offsprings, they live longer, and are healthier. As humans, it is important that we invest into our kids and make sure they are nurtured, fed, and loved as non-humans do their offsprings.

3 thoughts on “

1. I can see where the k- selection species are important both to humans and chimpanzees. Both animal groups want a stable environment where they can produce fewer offspring, since they have longer gestation periods, and the mother must provide long-term care after birth. Unlike, r-selected species which have an unstable environment, with many offspring, and little to no long term care after birth. It seems that k-selected species tend to invest a lot of more time in their young to ensure their long term survival versus having lots of offspring, like the r-selected species. Also, k- selected species have low mortality rates, longer life spans, and provide extensive prenatal care to their young that can last for many decades. K-related species, need to select a strong group to belong too, this is important to facilitate future evolution of these species. This social grouping offers protection and is very important for these species, especially for survival as we see throughout evolution.

2. Hi Aaliyah,
    I found some of your analogies interesting, but I felt sorry that you needed to abandon religion to accept science. Admittedly, the scientific research of genetics and anthropology would lead us to believe a convergent past where primates and non-primates had a common ancestor. This, of course, seems reasonable with respect to the fossil records and the genetic evidence that we are provided yet seems a little too complex to truly understand. I would suggest that we can blend science and religion if the science is viewed more generally and the religion is viewed less biblically. I believe religion is the acceptance of a power greater than we can imagine and the belief that life began as a result of this power. Science supports the big bang and evolution that developed after living cells miraculously appeared. Consider these cells represent Adam and Eve and the energy required for their creation (and the big bang) might have come from a supernatural source. I think science and religion can be mutually inclusive.
    -Jaclyn Kyko

3. I find it interesting you have chosen to abandon the faith that guided your existence. I am by no stretch of the word traditionally religious, however, I intensely study many religions, their histories, and their holy texts. I see the morality systems placed into widespread practice by religions, and I see how that has allowed society to reflect on itself. Consider the Romans at their height, they did not have Judeo-Christian morality, so they thought nothing of killing whomever, wherever, for whatever reason. They did not have the value system that emphasized not doing to others what you would not want done to yourself. They would kill every man, woman, and child in cities that resisted them during uprisings and military campaigns; simply because it was efficient for conquest, Empire maintenance, and growth. But after Christianity became widespread, practices like systematic extermination and depopulation became much more difficult to justify, as the people thought about the fact that it was wrong to kill women and children just because it made conquest easy.
    But, in the middle ages and the renaissance, the Catholic Church that was formed from the Roman Empire became a power all its own. It suppressed and killed those who disagreed with it, acting very much against the teachings of its own holy book. The Catholic Church fought against the idea of a sun-centered solar system until the 1820’s, when it was forced to admit the earth revolved around the sun and not vice-versa. There is good and bad in most everything, and when any belief system, including science and politics, becomes an inflexible dogma, it inhibits the intellectual growth of the people within its influence. But this dogmatic control is not from the ideas and teachings themselves, but from how people decide to teach and use them for their own benefit and power.