blog 5 hominids

There a few hominid traits that can inform us about modern human biology. One of them being from the Sahelanthropus tchadensis small teeth, large brow ridges and flat face, characteristics very similar to ours. The placement of the foramen magnum is located unmet the skull making it bipedal. Another hominid that carries a important trait is the Orrorin tugenensis, which has bipedal legs. Legs built to carry ad balance weight one leg at a time. It also has has long ape like arms which infers that humans were still spending times in the trees while standing bipedal. The Ardipithecus I thought was the most visibly  similar to humans. The later species had slightly smaller canines verses older species having larger ape like canines. Lastly, the Australopithcus afarensis having reduced canines and molars as well as loss of adduceable big toe (making it look similar to our feet) and a pelvis, suggesting full time bipedalism. All of these  enlighten us on modern human biology because all these changes happened over time as a result of adapting to new situations and environments. Most giving us a little information at a time to what is was like to be a human then internally and externally. These have all impacted human evolution over all. Humans evolved on had to either adapt/ evolve or die. We chose to evolve and for lack of better words get with the times. Fossilized skeletal remain of early human ancestors can help anthropologist reconstruct and learn from the past by  examining what traits/ abilities went with those remains. For example if in the past humans had two thumbs instead of one anthropologist can father dissever what that second thumb was necessary for.

2 thoughts on “blog 5 hominids

1. Hi! I really enjoyed reading your post. I agree with you that teeth, face and bipedalism can be important traits for us to study hominins; but I didn’t get why the face transformed (became flatter) throughout the evolution. Maybe it’s because of the canines change? Also, I agree with you that studying different pieces of fossilized remains will help us to figure out and restore the full picture of the revolution. It’s just like doing a huge piece of puzzle, the more pieces we found, and the easier for us to guess the real image. As you mentioned in the end, the position of the thumb (toe) is also an important trait to study hominin evolution! Overall, I like your post, good job writing it! I enjoyed reading it.

2. You did a great job touching base on all of the significant hominin traits that we still possess as humans today. I believe that adaptation to changes in climate and in the environment is the driving force of human evolution. Hominins developed certain dental traits in response to changes in available food resources to survive.
    One form of human evolution that I have personally under gone and that is common in modern day humans is the absence of wisdom teeth in our dental anatomy. I was informed that I do not have any wisdom teeth present on the left side of my mouth. This is said to be a form of human evolution in an adaptive response to over crowding of our dental anatomy that reduces the risk of developing possible dental and/or jaw complications. It is also believed that its a form of human evolution that eliminates the trait to save the unnecessary energy expenditure needed to develop them.