blog 7

When thinking about the prompt for this week I reflected on this whole entire class and what we have learned about and it honestly excited me to write about this post. I can honestly say it was fun learning about where we came from an anthropologist point of view and then putting it into my own perspective.

In the prompt it told me to give three different examples from what I have learned from class. I chose to talk about examples from a biological, cultural and environment point of views. My first examples will come from an environmental point of view. When looking at all of the Homo sapiens that we learned about, we learned that we might have had an ancestor being Neanderthals who were just like us, but didn’t live as long as our ancestors. The Neanderthals were said to have had the same features as us, but slightly different. This in my opinion can be wrong because I believe they didn’t actually die off. In the lecture there was a portion of the readings that said a lot of the different Homo sapiens that live did in fact interbreed. This is what leads me to believe that we in fact might have some Neanderthal genes that have carried on with our species, some might disagree but I have my own opinion. I just think that there is no way these species came in contact with our species and didn’t interact in a mating manner… Like so many things in history, scientist and in this case anthropologist could be wrong or might just have been led to believe something’s that were found were untrue.

An aspect of human evolution that I really like is that this course is what we learned about our teeth and all that teeth could tell us about our ancestors and us. In our lecture we learned that our teeth can tell where we came from and what we ate because our teeth changed as our location changed. I like to view it like a time line when our ancestors would eat different raw meats and their teeth would be sharper and a lot larger than they were in later years when they started to figure out new techniques on how to make food their teeth changed drastically because it was less chewing involved. Another thing I liked is how we are very similar to monkeys. In the lecture it said that different monkeys had the same relationship traits as us when the mother and its child is growing up. I think this is amazing to see a that like many other animals in this world the child in its adolescent year starts to do what it is taught by its mother. This shows that not only humans but other animals have the ability to do the same stuff that we do. This brings me to the cultural aspect of our ancestors and how they would use different tools and different kinds of way to interact.

One thought on “blog 7

1. There is a large, rather uncontroversial, section of the scientific community that completely agrees with you that interbreeding occurred with Neanderthal. They have based this theory off of DNA markers found in most, but not all, humans. Neanderthals were not our ancestors, they coexisted with Homo sapiens. There is evidence that we systematically exterminated them, and bred with some of their women who were “captured.” So there was quite a bit of varied interaction. Science is often mistaken, but therein lies its beauty, it admits that and constantly seeks to correct itself; but in this case, you and science actually agree on the mating.
    If you found the human-like behavioral similarities in monkeys interesting, you should look into orca pod behavior. Different wild pods “speak” different languages, they are taught these languages as they grow up in the family unit. The pod languages are distinct in the sense that an orca from outside the pod, or connected groups, cannot understand the calls of a foreign pod. Different pods also have unique hunting behavior and prey. There are some orcas that never eat seals and some that only eat seals. There are pods that have learned to intentionally beach themselves to catch seals, and humans have observed this exceedingly unique behavior being taught to calves. Though being aquatic creatures limits the manner in which we can compare physical traits, the patterns of language and learned behaviors we attribute to culture is very interesting to observe in orcas and other cetaceans.