BLOG 7

We have learned many things about humans over the course of this class. We learned about our origin, how we have physically adapted and changed, and how our behaviors reflect on our past. Humans are continuing to change every day. We interact with new people all of the time because of our advances in transportation. Access to transportation allows us to interact with people that we couldn’t have in the past. We are able to develop connections all over the world. This causes change in the human species. These interactions provide people with more options for mating. Options allow us to choose mates we couldn’t choose in the past and make way for physical changes in offspring.

Another contributor to the changes in humans is disease. Diseases are constantly mutating. They could become unresponsive to antibiotics, treatments, etc. When this happens, it plays the role we learned about “natural selection”. Even though natural selection is not something we witness very often in the United States (due to access to certain amenities) it still exists when disease shows up. It is not possible for humans to be prepared for every curveball, so nature ends up taking its toll.

One other contribution to human change is cultural behaviors. Whether these behaviors are a result of religion, preferences, or social class, they are present and causing slow change among different groups. For example, some religions do not allow its “members” to mate with others outside of that religion. We learned about the Amish. They have physical and environmental differences that others don’t have. They mate within the same group. In instances like this, genes are passed on, over and over again, and remains in that population. These genes can be good, bad, or neither. But if the traits are bad (like sickle cell), and it is continuously passed on, the population will soon be wiped out.

There are a variety of ways humans are continuously changing. As I mentioned, technological advances, disease, and culture contribute to our adaptation. Even though these changes take place very slowly, they are still happening. Eventually, adaptation will lead to evolution, no matter what the species is. Taking the past into consideration, we can imagine how humans may change in the future and undergo another type of evolution.

6 thoughts on “BLOG 7

1. Transportation is a great example of evolution that I really did not even think about. I definitely agree with you that evidence of transportation and technology is a great way to see how the human species has evolved. I think that with modern technology and transportation we will probably see faster evidence of evolution, because so many interactions are going on with different groups of people everyday now. Before, species would have to travel millions of miles on foot to meet other species and only then would they be able to interact. Today, however, interacting with different groups is as simple as buying a plane ticket and traveling to a different part of the world. I also mentioned disease in my post, I think resistance to disease is also a way that evolution is evident today. Great post!

2. Our ancestors had much bigger jaws than we do, which helped them chew a tough diet of roots, nuts and leaves. And what meat they ate they tore apart with their teeth, all of which led to worn down chompers that needed replacing. Enter the wisdom teeth: A third set of molars is believed to be the evolutionary answer to accomodate our ancestors’ eating habits. Today, we have utensils to cut our food. Our meals are softer and easier to chew, and our jaws are much smaller as a result, which is why wisdom teeth are often impacted when they come in — there just isn’t room for them. Like the appendix, wisdom teeth have become vestigial organs. One estimate says 35 percent of the population is born without wisdom teeth, and some say they will disappear altogether.

3. Hey! I really enjoyed reading your post, it was very thoughtful. You are absolutely right in choosing to bring up transportation as such an important cultural adaptation. We have so many means of transportation today that allow us to travel thousands of miles, or even tens of miles with such ease where as in the past tens of miles was a burden. Advancements in transportation give us the opportunity to meet and mate with people anywhere in the world, and consequently we’re increasing the levels of human diversity, and melding cultures.

4. I agree with your statements that human evolution is continuing to evolve, and it does not happen in several months, but million of years. Because of changing environments, early humans had to find ways to adapt new environments, otherwise they would die. For example, Neanderthals had large mid-face and noses since they live in a cold and dry environment. Like you said in the post, “humans my change in the future and undergo another type of evolution”, I think it is possible humans might have different physical and biological feature in the future due to new environment, such as global warming. The study shows that Earth’s temperature keeps rising, so I think human might evolve in some way in the temperature, but very slowly and subtle.

5. Thank you for your post! I really enjoyed how you talked more about culture, behavior, and disease. The last one is particularly important because I think that we can learn a lot about natural selection by studying disease. Since pathogens and viruses vary, adapt, and evolve so quickly, it is not only imperative that we act quickly but it is also an expedited look into how the process of evolution takes place.
    You also talked about transportation, which is probably a major contributor to why diseases spread and adapt so quickly in the first place. I had never really thought about how much transportation would have an effect on our biological evolution but you have made a very good point about why so much variation exists in modern-day society. With modern amenities, the original purpose of skin variation has become less important. I would be curious to see what humans look like after reproduction between people from different parts of the world has been instilled over a few thousand years. Something interesting to think about…

6. Like you, I really appreciated all the things we have learned about evolution in this class. I really like how you brought together the changes not just biologically but also technologically. Without easy transportation it would be hard to connect with people outside our community, just like you said. I also talked about the changes in human diseases and how they are constantly evolving. I really like that you grouped diseases, mutations and natural selection together in that paragraph because they really do go hand in hand with each other. I did not talk about cultural behaviors like you did in your post but I did bring it up. There are so many cultural examples that can happen in any community and they can make a difference, just like the example of Amish communities.