Blog Seven:

I have really enjoyed this class because there are many concepts that I have never thought about and ideas that surprise me, for example, there are so many similarities between chimpanzees and humans (we share 98% of DNA with chimpanzees!), and after this class I have a better understanding of evolution of human and human variation. I find out that we, as human, have very little knowledge of human history. So, I would definitely recommend my friends to take this class.

Humans are continuing to evolve due to many factors, such as, environments, cultural traits, mutation, behavior and so on.  For the environment, there are some areas are closer to the equator, meaning these areas experience high UV radiation. People in these areas tend to have darker skin, and dark-color skin can protect them from D poisoning, skin cancer and sunburn. High latitudes area, such as Canada and Russia, “allows enough UV to produce enough vitamin D from low UV environment and prevent vitamin-D defficiency”

Other example of human evolution in modern day is genetic mutation. Genetic mutation does not necessarily mean the organisms have some kind of disadvantage or “serious phenotypic effect”, but beneficial in some way: sickle cell allele in malaria-infested environment and Apolipoprotein AI-Milano. People who have sickle cell allele have a better chance of surviving in such environment and Apo-AIM can reduce the possibilities of stroke and heart attack.

For the behavior, male primates will attack and even kill other primates in order to expand their territories, gain resources and mate with other female primates. Well, humans also had the history of killing, such as war. Similarly, when choosing their mates, primates also focus on physical traits, such as body size. Both humans and non-human primates have the behabior of group froming. Group forming can increase the access to food, and have more eyes to protect their resources and territory.

5 thoughts on “Blog Seven:

1. Hey! I enjoyed reading your post. I like how you brought up your thoughts and feelings when you were creating your post. Just like you, I found the content of this class very interesting, too! I didn’t know much about anthropology nor paleontology before I took this class, but I’m glad that I decided to take this course! I was fascinated by all those amazing history, traits and biological facts of human beings when I was watching the lecture videos. As evolvement, I think human will have more fusion in the future because we will have the wider mating choice as our technology develops. Furthermore, the rise of the internet also speeded the fusion up. So in the future, I think we will get rid of the idea of “race” and live in a world with less racism.

2. I agree with you 100% on your perspectives regarding this class. There was so many similarities between humans and various species that you wouldn’t necessarily think about otherwise. I actually choose to discuss our similarities with chimps as one of my three topics. I think it’s pretty crazy that we relate to them also in an emotional sense. Where they have the ability to feel emotions, regardless of if they’re positive or negative. An interesting topic that you pointed out that is pretty cool when you really think about it, is different cultures and their adaptation to sunlight. It’s interesting to think that people who live closer to the sun have a darker skin tones than people who live further away. Which then makes you think about when you go on vacation and your skin gets more tan- it’s actually your body adapting to the surroundings. Which, totally makes sense, just not necessarily what would come to mind initially.

3. I completely agree with you I have learned so much from this course. I didn’t realize how close we were to chimps. I knew they were the closest mammals in relation to our DNA but until this course I did not know it was 98%. Wow I did not realize that the high latitude locations also get all the UV to help prevent cancer and vitamin D deficiency. That is an incredible fact that people who have sickle cell can allele can survive in areas of high malaria and also Apo-AIM can reduce stroke and heart attack that is unbelievable. These are all just great examples of the amazing information that we have learned in the course and how much your average human doesn’t know about our species.

4. Hey! I really enjoyed reading your post, great thoughts. I completely agree with you on your statement about having a better understanding of human evolution and variation. It’s incredible how such slight differences in DNA place us as such close relatives to chimps, and how an even slighter difference in DNA can cause vast difference in human phenotypes. I also liked the part of your post that discussed the UV exposure. That was not something I was familiar with until last semester when I was introduced to it in another anthro course, and I was happy it was reinforced in this class. I remember learning about the concept of evolution in school before college, but there wasn’t a lot of explanation on human variation. Not only is it important to learn, but it’s also incredibly interesting.

5. I think that it is really great how you used more specific examples of how we are continuing to evolve. It is interesting how, like with the malaria and sickle-cell disease, we sometimes adapt to situations in a way that is harmful or non-progressive in other areas. Another example of this can also be found in the population of homo florensies. Since their craniums were actually smaller than that of their predecessors, it means that they had actually regressed in intelligence. I had always assumed that evolution favored more healthy and intelligent beings, but this class has taught me that it truly only favors survival and reproduction. I also liked how you related primate behavior back to humans. I never thought to make a correlation between their territorial nature and ours. Great work!