Harris Week 1 Blog Post

The sub-field of biological/physical anthropology that I decided to focus on is linguistic anthropology. The original definition of anthropology is the study of human, the past and present. Linguistic anthropology is the evolution of language and the different relations to culture. It’s one of the branches of anthropology that is originated from the endeavor to document endangered languages. It has grown over many centuries to most aspects of language structure and use. That leads me to the basics, what is language? Language is a system of conventional spoken, written symbols by which human beings, as members of a social group and participants in one’s culture, It’s very interesting because communication was a vital trait in the evolution of human life. The functions of language include communicating, expressing identity, from emotional to imagination so that your culture can understand exactly what’s going on. Which leads me to the other question what is culture? Which are the systems of knowledge shared by a relatively large group of people. Culture is symbolic communication and is something that specifically identify everything about you. From the music you listen too, the lingo or the way you talk, food you eat and even the clothes your wear. Culture also symbolizes group skills, knowledge, attitudes, values, and different motives.

Anthropological linguistics investigates the relationship between language and culture from the linguistics perspective. Language and culture go hand and hand with each other and what defines linguistics. Some linguists what studies it will focus more on the way words are formed and pronounced.  Pretty much the introduction of language through phonology to semantics, syntax and grammar systems. Linguistic anthropology explores how language shapes communication. Language plays a huge role in social identity, groups, and establishing cultural beliefs and ideas. The issue of endangered languages is a popular area of study for many linguistic anthropologists.

An endangered language is one that is at risk of disappearing due to a lot of people speaking another language. It’s been an increase interaction between different cultures because of globalization, more and more people are communicating with one another. Which is a good thing but also a bad thing in linguistics sense because of endanger languages. Languages have always died out over human history, today they are disappearing at a vastly greater rate because of language loss through natural disasters, violence, cultural repressions, marginalization and through war. That give off negative effects on cultural groups whose language is lost or endangered, which a culture can loss its social identity, cultural knowledge, loss of ecological knowledge, and many more.

Therefore linguistic anthropology contribute to the broader themes of anthropology because it examines many different ideas about the relationship between language and culture. The original definition of anthropology is the study of human, the past and present, and throughout the evolution of human society, communication and language is the main barrier of all that. Through talking, creating symbols, and expressing one feeling, all derives from communicating which is linguistics.  Native languages and new languages have been born through this and globalized cultures, bringing every culture together as one for many centuries.

2 thoughts on “Harris Week 1 Blog Post

1. Thank you for sharing this information that you found on linguistic anthropology! I have always been fascinated by language and where it comes from. So many animals have a need communication to carry out daily life and I wonder if there is any diversity in communication among animals of the same kind like there is for humans. It’s crazy how so many different languages can all be derived from one common ancestor in much the same way as the evolution of life on earth. It’s sad to know that some languages eventually die out due to multiple factors, but it’s cool that linguistic anthropologists are doing all they can to preserve ancient languages. Now that the world is so connected, I wonder if in some way we will eventually evolve to adopt some sort of universal language?

2. Hi! I really enjoyed reading through your week one post! I find it very interesting that there are so many different languages and dialects in the world. Personally, I am fluent in three languages and can kind of speak/understand two to three other languages. I have always enjoyed learning and speaking different languages. I am glad that you mentioned endangered languages because have never really thought about that concept. I never realized that that language can eventually die out. Also, I did not know that linguistic anthropologist does not only study the history of language, but also symbols and relationship between language and culture. More and more people are learning to be fluent in English, but I am curious to know what the first official language was. How did they speak? Did they not speak and only use symbols? Did they use sign language? Overall, I really enjoyed your post and think you did great!